OS X Developer Tools

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Where can i grab the new set of developer tools for OS X? Or do i have to BUY them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Where can i grab the new set of developer tools for OS X? Or do i have to BUY them?

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Quote:

Availability

Xcode Developer Preview was distributed to developers at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference. It will also be sent on CD to Select and Premier ADC members soon.

Of course, since Xcode (like the rest of Panther) isn't finished, it wouldn't be of much use to you unless you'd like to spend a lot of time filing bug reports. According to Mike Pinkerton (the developer of Camino) it leaves a lot to be desired in its current state. This is one obvious reason why Apple is not seeding it liberally.

If your goal is to have a set of tools to get actual work done, stick with Apple's current toolset, or CodeWarrior, or whatever you currently have.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

If your goal is to have a set of tools to get actual work done, stick with Apple's current toolset, or CodeWarrior, or whatever you currently have.

couldn't agree more - in its current state, xcode is functionally unusable.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i was just curious because i want to start learning coccoa and i figured it might be useful to have the dev tools

will xcode and the new stuff be available when panther is...and will the dev tools be a free download do you think?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    XCode should be available with the shipping version of Panther I'd assume... as far as a separate download on ADC it would probably be available eventually.

Also, you can use Apple's current Dev Tools with Jaguar to learn Cocoa.