Constant kernel panics after installing iChatAV

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can't start up my Powermac G4/400 anymore after installing iChatAV without getting constant kernel panics. Every 5 goes it boots ok, but then when I next have to restart after a shutdown I get a load of kernel panics.

I'm running 10.2.6 and have never had a kernel panic or any other problems before. It's clearly the iChatAV installation that's caused this because it happened directly after the neccessary restart you need to do when you install it.

Mighty frustrating.

I've managed to trash everything to do with iChat but I'm still getting the panics. Anyone got any tips?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I'm just going out on a limb here, but I think you should reinstall iChat AV, and then there is a menu option to revert to iChat 1.0. Do that, and hopefully, iChat will do a better job of cleaning up after itself than you did.

If that doesn't work, well, I don't have any other ideas (other than the all-too-drastic reinstall).

Good Luck!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    peerpeepeerpee Posts: 44member
    Thanks for the reply.

I've reinstalled iChatAV and found the "Revert to iChat 1.0" option (not in the installer, but in the FILE menu of iChatAV, which then launches a "reverter").

Unfortunately, although I've now got iChat 1.0 reiinstalled, I'm still getting the kernel panics.

What else could it possibly be?

Is my G4 just playing up because I ordered a new G5 last week?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [Bytheway, my iChat 1.0 (that I've reverted to) is not working. When I launch it it bounces and then stops, but doesn't properly open. No triangle appears under the dock icon to say the app is launched. It just does nothing and is not usable.]
  • Reply 4 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    boot off your OSX disc and repair permissions. if that doesn't work let me know.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I repaired disk permissions from JAG disc 1 just after I trashed all the iChatAV files (forgot to mention it because it didn't help me). I have since reinstalled iChatAV, reverted to iChat1.0, restarted, got a kernel panic, restarted 4 times with kernel panics, then thankfully got an ok boot, repaired disk permissions again, restarted ok, but iChat 1.0 is broken. It bounces but won't open.

I hope this has cleared up the kernel panics.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    go to your USER folder, and open the Library folder.

from there open the Caches folder, and delete everything from inside.

then try to launch the app.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Thanks.

Did that. iChat still bounces, stops, doesn't open.

(really appreciating your help, thanks)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    other than repairing permissions from the boot CD, and tossing your cache files, i'm not sure what else would cause this problem.

the only times i've run into this those two fixed it no problem.