File sharing...can you change the port?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm going to be setting up a network in my apartment, and both my roommate and I will have nice shiny new G5 towers on a cable connection, behind a router. We'd both like to be able to have apple file sharing running so we can connect to our Macs remotely...is there any way to, on one of the Macs, switch the port file sharing runs on so I can easily route traffic by mapping the different ports to the proper IPs in the router configuration? Or is there a different way to do it altogether? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Er, you could open the ports on the router that file sharing uses.

I'd recommend only opening SSH. SSH is secure, and you can copy files from one system to another. I believe ssh is port 23? Or is it 22?

You can start ssh in Sys Prefs -> Sharing -> Services -> Remote login
  • Reply 2 of 3
    So you're suggesting using SSH on one Mac and file sharing on the other? I guess I could do the same with FTP, but I'd rather have AFP running on both of them.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    could you just have say public ports 547 aand 548 redirect to your individual private IP's port 547?

So if someone accesses 40.30.20.10:547 it goes to 10.0.1.2:547 and if someone accesses 40.30.20.10:548 it goes to 10.0.1.3:547

makes sense to me, dunno if your router is configurable in this manner