Bunnies Are Soft, Part II

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Our new mini lop, Lyta, at eight weeks old:

Yeah, yeah... rabbit stew. I've heard it all before

Historical note: "Bunnies are soft" was a strange random thread started in Apple Outsider about a year ago, coincidentally about a week before we got our first rabbit, Kosh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The ears are classic!

So do you keep it in a cage and then let it run around once in a while? Bunnies are more or less like rodents in the sense that they don't ever "warm up to you", right? Gotta watch em or they'll run away?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Historical note: "Bunnies are soft" was a strange random thread started in Apple Outsider about a year ago, coincidentally about a week before we got our first rabbit, Kosh.

That long ago? woah

Our rabbit had orthogonal ears: one pointing up, one out.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

are you sure i swear that was few months ago
  • Reply 4 of 17
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

The ears are classic!

So do you keep it in a cage and then let it run around once in a while? Bunnies are more or less like rodents in the sense that they don't ever "warm up to you", right? Gotta watch em or they'll run away?

they are rodents.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    We used to have 2 rabbits. They really gave a new meaning to the term "hump like rabbits" Man That is some stuff I wont forget in the near future.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

The ears are classic!

The one rabbit we've had for about a year now, Kosh, is litter trained and free to roam around the house. Lyta will be spending most of her time in her cage for the next three months or so, with supervised exercise outside of her cage. She won't have the run of the house until she's been litter trained, spayed, and not until Kosh has gotten used to her being around.

As for rabbits warming up to you... they do, actually. Not like a dog, but in their own ways, and depending on their individual personalities. Kosh is a bit aloof. He spends a lot of time alone hiding under beds, and isn't crazy about being picked up. But he loves to be petted, and he'll walk up to you if you lie down on the floor with him, nudge you, then stick his nose under your face, flattening his head and body down as much as he can, and wait to have his ears and forehead stroked, and his chin rubbed.

Other rabbits are more sociable (we're hoping Lyta turns out to be one of these), and will hop into your lap when they want attention.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

are you sure i swear that was few months ago

I rounded up a little, but it was about 9-10 months ago -- close to a year.

Time flies when you're waiting for G5s?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

they are rodents.

Actually, rabbits are lagomorphs (order Lagomorpha), not rodents (order Rodentia).
  • Reply 9 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Oooo. Lego-morphs. I like it.

I'm surprised they can be that sociable Shetline. Even the bunny that runs under beds and doesn't like to be picked up isn't too bad. Sounds like most cats I know.

• Reply 10 of 17
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Our new mini lop, Lyta, at eight weeks old:

Yeah, yeah... rabbit stew. I've heard it all before

How is Kosh and Lyta ?

Fellows
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

How is Kosh and Lyta ?

Kosh is still a bit cranky about this new intruder. Hopefully he'll be over it by time Lyta's allowed the run of the house, like he has, in a few months. We picked up some chicken wire to use as a temporary barrier around her cage, to allow Kosh to get close and check her out, to get more accustomed to her presence, but not so close that he can nip at her between the bars like he was trying to do before.

Lyta seems mostly oblivious to Kosh's territorial distress. It's amazing to see how much she enjoys her exercise time out of her cage -- zipping around, making sudden skidding turns and weird little hops -- we never got see Kosh when he was this young and had no idea how much energy a little rabbit could have.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Kosh is still a bit cranky about this new intruder. Hopefully he'll be over it by time Lyta's allowed the run of the house, like he has, in a few months. We picked up some chicken wire to use as a temporary barrier around her cage, to allow Kosh to get close and check her out, to get more accustomed to her presence, but not so close that he can nip at her between the bars like he was trying to do before.

Lyta seems mostly oblivious to Kosh's territorial distress. It's amazing to see how much she enjoys her exercise time out of her cage -- zipping around, making sudden skidding turns and weird little hops -- we never got see Kosh when he was this young and had no idea how much energy a little rabbit could have.

Cool cool cool!!!! I was in a very nice high end mall in Dallas one day a few weeks ago and they had a large area with bunnies I was taken away by watching them

Fellowship
  • Reply 13 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Cutest Bunny. EVER.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Very cute.

As and aside, (shetline, STOP READING HERE!!!) rabbit stew is very bad, unless you spice the shit out of it and completely obscure the rabbit meat. You might as well be making crow stew.

The best way to have rabbit is to get <6 month old rabbits, preferebly farm-raised and fed on high-calorie pellots mixed with high-carb veggies. No run-wild stuff. Dandelions and such (although the leaves make a nice side-salad for rabbit) make the meat more bitter.

I personally like my young rabbit slightly warmed (oven or low-grill) then pan-stewed in a light mustard sauce, not unlike bearnaise, but more spiced and yellow. Dill weed is also appropriate depending on the rabbit's age.

This is so lovely, you wouldn't begin to know 'tender' until you've tried my Mustard Rabbit. Seriously. Start with a nice leek & potato soup (cold, and a pinch of cumin to whet the taste-buds), the main course with lightly grilled asparagus and garlic-steamed redskin potatoes, finished with a dandelion green / shaved radish / peppercorn vinnegrette salad. .....Heaven on Earth.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    My sister used to have one of these things. Be carefull they scratch the crap out of everyone!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    A few more of those and you have a pillow that match the sofa.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    damn cute bunnies.