Airport Extreme and a USB ADSL modem?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I currently have a Alcatel USB modem which connects to the iMac via USB. My question is, can I connect it via USB to an Airport Exreme!? OR will I require a new modem?

Any help really appreciated.

Mossy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if you want to get unwired you will need a new modem

the usb port is only for printers...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    thats why i won't touch an ADSL connection in the UK if it doesn't offer an ethernet option...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mossy

Hi all,

I currently have a Alcatel USB modem which connects to the iMac via USB. My question is, can I connect it via USB to an Airport Exreme!? OR will I require a new modem?

Any help really appreciated.

Mossy

Hi Mossy,

You really need an ethernet adsl connection for this I think, i've been wondering about this sort of thing for sharing my USB Swann external 56K modem over an airport LAN (why share a 56K connection I hear you ask, well because I don't have adsl, and because I want to see if I can!)

But surely the option in "System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Tab -> Internet Sharing" would have some effect on this, i'm sure there's a lovely technical way to do it in the terminal or editing some .config file as well.

You can buy from the AppleStore and big office world type shops ADSL modems with ethernet routers in the same box but it really depends on what type of ADSL account you have with the ISP, if it's a self-install one you are free to (as far as I know) use whatever modem you like with it, so you could install a nice wireless adsl modem and share it that way. If not then your options are a bit more limited I think