Exposé, the better solution?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm excited about Exposé, this feature ranks right up there with the likes of multitasking and such innovations that have revolutionized the UI. I see Exposé taking us to a new level - In more ways then we might think.

An example of this is tabbed browsing. While I like tabbed browsing, it wasn't a perfect solution. I see Exposé being that near perfect solution, and perhaps even eliminating the need for tabbed browsing all together.

What others "not-so-visible" benefits do you see from Exposé?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, it certainly takes pressure off of the Dock and minimized windows.

If the user is careful, it does provide the nice tab feature that photoshop uses for any app, though that's a tricky one.

It might be used to temporaily tile windows so you can compare/contrast among them.

And it will hopefully make drag-n-drop that much more prevalent for users. When developers write their apps, they will hopefully write in drag-n-drop that much more consistently and pervasively. This usually isn't a problem in Mac apps, but there are some developers and some occasions when this isn't considered. I suppose Apple might also write a more robust ActiveX-ish/OpenDoc-ish Pasteboard/Clipboard so nearly any type of data can be placed in nearly any other kind of app, at least in some format.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Expose and Tabbed Browsing should work well together. I can enjoy the benefits of both. Macro Window Management with Expose and Micro Window Management with Tabs. This is a powerful Duo
  • Reply 3 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Today I noticed that Exposé lets me easily drag and drop between one application and another, even if one of them (iPhoto, in this case) takes up most of the screen. I copied some items from iPhoto into a folder and all I had to do was hit F9, drag them over the window, and hit F9 again and the window my pointer was over was automatically brought to the front. Pretty sweet. It makes my screen feel bigger.

Another thing I noticed is that you can no longer use command-Tab to switch applications. I guess they're leaving it up to Exposé and the dock for that.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I copied some items from iPhoto into a folder and all I had to do was hit F9, drag them over the window, and hit F9 again and the window my pointer was over was automatically brought to the front. Pretty sweet. It makes my screen feel bigger.

Very cool!

Hit F9?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Another thing I noticed is that you can no longer use command-Tab to switch applications. I guess they're leaving it up to Exposé and the dock for that.

I have read from many sources that command-tab is alive and well and has even been given a facelift, ie it shows a window volume/brightness style when activated. See here

Wesley
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh wow. That's cool! For some reason it didn't seem to be working earlier, but now I get to see.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    That is awesome. Expose alone is worth the upgrade price for me.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    woeyewoeye Posts: 2member
    Definitively! Exposé is very cool. Simple but powerful. The application switcher (command-tab) could be better, however. LiteSwitch is a good example.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Expose is an amazing UI feature. It is a solution that is so obvious that once you have seen it, you just kind of say "of course!". If 10.3 only had 10 features like this, it would be worth every dollar of the upgrade price. Quartz extreme is really beginning to pay off and I look forward to seeing what else can be done with hardware accelerated GUI's.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I just realized that Expose (I'm on a PC, don't bother me ) brings the quick file "rummaging" ability of the "piles" concept to the Mac without introducing what many argued was a redundant element to the Finder. This was the best part of the "piles" patent to me, and maybe Apple thought so too.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I tried expose for the first time last night and was amazed. It is runs absolutely flawlessly on a dual 450 and radeon 8500.

Window management definately needed to be rethought. The current techniques were designed for an era when people worked with relatively few programs, windows, and documents simultaneously.

Tabs, another stab at more sophisticated window management, break the one-to-one relationship between files and windows. While I don't hold adherence to direct-manipulation design-criteria as the ultimate goal in interface design, I like how Expose doesn't sacrifice direct manipulation.

Heheh... wait till my XP toting friends see this.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    You guys have no idea how awesome it is. 900 windows open but want that file on the desktop? Move the mouse to the bottom right corner. All windows genie effect off the screen. Repeat the bottom right and they all genie back into place. Apple+tab shows as mentioned above, a cool bar with all apps open real large and centered on the screen. Pick and choose easily. Then F9 genies all windows smaller and fits them all onto the screen. so you can see every window. Awesome. The cherry? There's more? Sure. How are you supposed to know which window belongs to what app? No biggie, mouse over the window hilites it blue with a white text display of the app the window belongs to.

This rocks.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Yeah, this is very cool, but on a tiBook with 8mb of VRAM it doesn't look as good as the demo. And the quick user flipping effect doesn't even happen, you just switch screens. Basically you better have a Quartz Extreme machine to fully enjoy these. (But they are very cool features, and I am glad they there)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    woeyewoeye Posts: 2member
    Once you've used Exposé it's hard to work without it =)

It's fascinating how fast you get used to it. Today I think working with many windows without Exposé is sooo counterproductive.