Sony cd player better sound than ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok, now i've really entered into a probably, very emotional subject..but since returning my 3g ipod and ripped same sonds to a cg and played on my portable Sony cd..WOW...big sound, channel separation is awesome compared to the ipod.

yeah I'm dissapointed, wanted really to get another ipod after my last trial......

Anyone else listening for quality versus ..lots of songs, but quality is wanting.

Oh yeah..miss the quick download..the cd burn is a bit of a wait after the ipod...but the wait for the music is much better. I'd like to know why the ipod is not up to cd quality?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cause its not a CD?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    does that mean..cd's are better quality sound? I have to say i had 3 folks listen to a cd from itunes and then ipod....the result ...all voted for the cd...they didn't know which one was which. Then if this is true, what is the thing about ipod....yeah lots of songs , but if they are, like yesterday in terms of quality..who cares?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Erm, CD's sound better because they have a Whole Heckuva Lot(tm) more data per song producing that nice sound. When you compress, you trade quality for space. Apple's new standard compression for the iPod is AAC at 128 kilobits per second. mp3's are usually ripped at 160 or 192 kilobits per second. A regular CD AIFF file has about 1.1 MILLION bits per second. By compressing you gain storage space (can fit 100 songs on a CD instead of 10) but lose some quality.

Now, it used to not be practical to carry around uncompressed CD-quality songs on an mp3 player, back when their capacity was measured in tens of megabytes. But with a 30GB iPod, you can decide to carry around about 50 CD's worth of uncompressed songs instead of 500 CD's worth of compressed mp3's or AAC's. So if the quality of an mp3 really bothers you, why don't you just load uncompressed AIFFs onto your iPod? You can still carry 50 CD's worth of songs in your shirt pocket - and not lose a bit of quality.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by kollective2002

Ok, now i've really entered into a probably, very emotional subject..but since returning my 3g ipod and ripped same sonds to a cg and played on my portable Sony cd..WOW...big sound, channel separation is awesome compared to the ipod.

Would you mind clarifying?

a:

CD -> Rip -> Burn New CD -> Play on Sony

is better than

CD -> Rip -> Play on iPod ??

b: Or are you saying the original CD sounds better than the ripped version of the same CD?

If you mean b, then you better duck, because there will be a whole mess of Clue Sticks heading for your head.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'd say check your setting for when you're ripping the CD's into iTunes, or before you put them on your iPod.

crappy rips=crappy sounds.

any mp3 ripped at 256k is indistinguishable from the original from everything i've ever heard.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    And you used the same headphones on both?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    /me wings a clue stick at the new kid
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

/me wings a clue stick at the new kid

haha