MOVED: Power Cables ! ! !

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think a big step for the home computer, and its peripherals, will be the cabling. Or lack of it!!!

I look under my desk and I have 12, yes 12 plugs. 60% of these plugs have chunky transformers on them somewhere. Dropping the 13 amp 220volt supply (uk), down to a few hundred mulliamps at 5 to 12 volts.

my speakers, my psion charger, my mobile charger, (my to soon own ipod charger) all have sligly different power connections, but all put out a similar voltage / wattage / ampage.

I know with a bit of care I can strip the wires from my speakers (500mA), my psion charger (500mA) etc, and connect them to a single 1 or 2 amp supply, and each device will only draw the power it needs... but the voltages have to be the same.

I would like to see all these connectors standardised, then maybe we can see some sort of power bus, whereby your devices can be connected to it (without additional adapters), and the correct voltage and current will be supplied.

Maybe a start would be an 8 amp computer power supply, so more and more peripherals can be powered via usb / firewire.

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Gargoyle ]

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Gargoyle ]

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Fantastic Topic!

I agree 1000000% If I get one more powerbrick I think I'm gonna die. While I know we are asking for the world to get everyone to follow some sort of standard maybe just maybe we can get them to start adding about a foot of cable OFF those nasty effing bricks so the brick itself isn't blocking two (or more) power sockets.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I edited my original post twice and still have mulliamps!!!

Think I best go back to school!!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>Fantastic Topic!

I agree 1000000% If I get one more powerbrick I think I'm gonna die. While I know we are asking for the world to get everyone to follow some sort of standard maybe just maybe we can get them to start adding about a foot of cable OFF those nasty effing bricks so the brick itself isn't blocking two (or more) power sockets.

Dave</strong><hr></blockquote>

put me down for another 1000000% on both points!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Interesting. Sending to GD...not necessarily Future Apple Hardware but an interesting topic indeed....