iPod + DVCamcorder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A friend of mine has an iPod, and is considering buying a DV Camcoder. He doesn't own a Mac but is thinking about buying a PM G5.

He asked me the other day if there was a way to offload data from a DVCamcorder directly to an iPod. I had no answers.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    no
  • Reply 2 of 8
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

A friend of mine has an iPod, and is considering buying a DV Camcoder. He doesn't own a Mac but is thinking about buying a PM G5.

He asked me the other day if there was a way to offload data from a DVCamcorder directly to an iPod. I had no answers.

Any ideas?

not yet.

maybe, one smart guy in taiwan has the idea, to construct a little widget, which is interconnected between the cam and the ipod, which tells the ipod to go in hd modus, to "record" the playback signal from the camera...-

maybe i'm a lil' too smart, but afaik, you don't need any controller, cpu, blabla, to "switch" the ipod to do so. it's just some bits on the fw bus...-

may be, one day......
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Isn't one of the main points about firewire is that it can work without a computer?

Yet i've not heard of any HDD's that take the data directly of a camera.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

Isn't one of the main points about firewire is that it can work without a computer?

That was primarily why he was wondering. He knew an iPod could be used as a hard drive, and thought this would be a good way to unload data from his camera. I think he has the 30giger.

I thought I remembered stories from when the iPod was first out, that the OS had the ability to burn CD's and such, so I thought maybe it could also grab video.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    I suppose it's all in the software you put into the iPod and the ability is probably limited by the iPod firmware.

You can imagine an AV IPod released by Apple that might do it (esp now with the release of an iChat AV) this would mean giving the iPod the ability to view video on it that had been captured to it, which would be v. cool. This is probably something for the Future Hardware forum and has probably been discussed there before
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dark seraphdark seraph Posts: 104member
    this doesn't exactly hit DV camcorder to ipod but you might try emailing the brains behind the creator of a peice of software called "DVBackup" -look it up on version tracker...Lets you backup data from your system to a dv camcorder.

sorry a bit of a tangent I know, but it seems like a really promising program.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Seraph

this doesn't exactly hit DV camcorder to ipod but you might try emailing the brains behind the creator of a peice of software called "DVBackup" -look it up on version tracker...Lets you backup data from your system to a dv camcorder.

sorry a bit of a tangent I know, but it seems like a really promising program.

DS - that's a very good connection and absolutly not tangent! you're right, it's the way vice versa and still there's a "computer" involved. the question still is: do you need somekind of "mastermind" (=cpu) to handle a stream of bits over fw? or is it enough to have a gizmo (=widget) which says "hello! put this please onto hd!" (you have to "name" the file etc.pp)

as i said be4: probably i'm too naive in hardware - but could be impossible, couldn't it? \
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dark seraphdark seraph Posts: 104member
    i'm not too good with the construct of hardware and whats "hard-coded" in to firmware either but I think it may definitely be woth Tulkas time to push his idea on the creator of DVBackup.

speaking of DVBackup, I thought of that abou the same time that you could hook up your computer to a camcorder via firewire (probably with the rest of the collective conscious). I figured, why are there even tapebackups when you can grab a DV camera and push digital to it, I figured isn't there just a way to push other digital data to the camcorder? Damn, should've at least copyright the idea if I couldn't program it...oh well. probably not the only one who thought that either.. \