iPod Battery Life

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought a new 30GB iPod, and it's great...

One problem, the battery only seems to last about 1.5 - 2 hours. I had it in the dock all afternoon yesterday and it read as "charded" when I removed it this morning, but after a short trip to the office and about 20 minutes of listening while here...Dead...

Same thing this weekend...Had it in the dock for a day, then took it on a flight 2 hours...Got about 15 minutes of use in the hotel, and Dead...

I know the new models have shorter battery times, but this is absurd...Am I doing something wrong or should I return this unit...

I plop it into the dock attached to my iMac and it says charging and then charged (after a few hours)...I skip songs a lot while playing it (just press next on the wireless remote)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    do you have the pod 2.0.1 software?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

do you have the pod 2.0.1 software?

Yes, I updated it (Auto Update) upon first plugging it in, and I've confirmed that it is 2.0.1

The battery must be bad (shipped that way), because there is no way this should be normal performance (if it is, I wasted $500).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    micflashmicflash Posts: 2member
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I do believe you have a defective unit. You could try the Windex of troubleshooting for the Pod, which is to leave it unplugged for 24 hours and then try to recharge it.

If not, send that puppy in and get a new one.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Thanks for the feedback...Looks like I found the problem...

Turns out I'm an imbocile...

My Mac ws going to sleep during the charging process, which apparently cuts off the power to the Firewire ports. I made sure that it was set to never, plugged in the iPod over night, and got 6+ hours yesterday and I still had 2 lines showing in the battery bar.

I promise I'm not usually retarded. Don't hold it against me

You can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Congrats! (We all do stupid things).

Glad it wasn't a bad battery. Now you can pop in the earbuds and do the iPod dance like the guy in the original iPod commercial.