Toshiba's 17 Incher

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Toshiba has just released its own 17-inch laptop computer:

CNET article

However, it's a full hefty ten pounds, appears to be fairly thick, and man is it ever oooogly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    10 lbs... wow.

This thing is iMac competition, not PowerBook competition!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    It looks like a 20 year old terminal.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Fugly.

Read the quote too. the guy says its the ideal movie and tv watcing device. or something like that.

i think the perfect device for that is a TV.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

But a larger display also usually dictates a larger, heavier chassis. The Satellite P25 measures 16.4 inches high by 11.5 inches wide and 1.8 inches thick, making it the largest notebook in Toshiba's inventory. It's also the heaviest, weighing in at 9.9 pounds--3.1 pounds more than Apple's 17-inch PowerBook, though it costs $1,200 less.

10 F'n pounds.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    10 Pounds!!!! Are they crazy!!!! and it looks ugly, and all they did was copy Apple if there was no 17" PowerBook this would not exist

$1200 less but it has alot less features, only 60 GB-HD, 802.11b? what world are they in? it is 802.11g now. no bluetooth, exc... how much battery life does it get?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Can't beat the price, that's for sure. I don't think Lapzilla (PB 17") is the intended audience.....more like the Alienware and Dell supersized 'portables'.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

10 Pounds!!!! Are they crazy!!!! and it looks ugly, and all they did was copy Apple if there was no 17" PowerBook this would not exist

$1200 less but it has alot less features, only 60 GB-HD, 802.11b? what world are they in? it is 802.11g now. no bluetooth, exc... how much battery life does it get?

Add that to the fact that it's shaped like a toilet seat. That stands out in the only picture they gave, that's so tiny as to hide further shame from their design team.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

I don't think Lapzilla (PB 17") is the intended audience.....more like the Alienware and Dell supersized 'portables'.

I just don't get those things. I see them in coffee shops all the time. Who wants a "laptop" that weighs ten pounds, is three inches thick, needs to be wheeled around on a dolly, and still can't be used without plugging half-a-dozen cords into it? The days of weighing "laptop" vs. "desktop replacement" ended about three years ago. I look at these beasts, look at my svelt, full-functional iBook, and quietly chuckle to myself.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Doesn't the Cube weigh less than that thing?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    wow. UUUUUGLY

not exactly competition.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    That thing is f-in horrible. I am so glad Apple makes laptops, thats one category I dont think they can ever be 2nd in.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's BEAUTIFUL!

Makes the PowerBook look like yesterday's news. I'm getting one...just placed my order 30 minutes ago.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

It's BEAUTIFUL!

Makes the PowerBook look like yesterday's news. I'm getting one...just placed my order 30 minutes ago.

haha, nice

these companies don't spend millions on R&D, don't have to recover their costs, and are able to charge 30-50% less on their products because of it. Good? Bad? I dunno, but don't think that because a product isn't as slick as apple's that the company has their head on crooked, just a different strategy.