17" Powerbook Tales

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm about to take the leap up from that hardy Pismo 500 maxed out. Anyone care to share their experiences, in the field, on the desk, in Bryant Park using wireless, or is your AlBook just too big, bulky, and attractive to risk outside your sanctum sanctorum? Does the backlit keyboard really work in darkened lecture halls or aircraft?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Was I really that sleepy? I thought this would light up the boards. Doesn't anyone have one? Are they sooooo cool that nobody wants anyone else to buy one? Or is it that they are just so awful that those who went for the 17 over the 12.1 are too embarrassed to admit it? 8)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think anyone on these boards owns a 17" powerbook...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Certainly seems to be the case. Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking of the back-lit keyboard and the DVI out as two key features that push me toward the 17' wide-screen Al PowerBooks. Yet, except in the Apple Stores or on the websites, I've not seen one "out of captivity".
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Well, I've been lurking on AppleInsider for a while, trying to get all the hype about Powerbooks (I'm just a switcher), and entered the Apple world with a 17" Powerbook... which I am the proud owner as of this last May.

Anyway, my impressions are that I love it - and as far as the size goes, it actually seems to get smaller as I use it more and more, and whether it be post-buy syndrome or what, it doesn't seem too heavy and I love all of the screen real estate (I do graphic design, flash, video production, etc).

Also, I just had to go with this instead of the 15 because a) I wasn't going to wait for it, and b) I wanted all the cool things on the 17!

So, maybe this is an excessively long post to a short answer , but here's a more direct answer to your question: yes, the light-up keyboard really works, and it works quite smoothly (just make sure you turn the backlight all the way up). DVI out is very nice... I'm spanning to a 17 incher right now, which is pretty sweet.

I have yet to take it everywhere yet... but I purchased a backpack for it, so it seems quite portable to me... I'm used to carrying books and hard drives around, so it's no prob...

Anyway, as a summary, it's just extremely well built - gets a bit toasty (hey, it's a space heater that does math!), anyway, no complaints (well, except for Apple can't put a 2 button touchpad on it ), feel free to ask me any questions...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Creativeguy, that's the spirit. Your info is just the stuff I'm looking for. I've loved macs since they first came out and have been hoping to take my Pismo to G4 for some time. I just could not see passing up everything on the 17" for the 15" and, while I love the portability of the 12.1 PB, it just lacked too much to justify a move from my Japanese iBook.

The fact that you're a switcher makes your post a Classic and it is doubly appreciated. Best of luck in your creative work. Spanning to a 17" monitor already is the sign of great things to come!

I may, indeed, take you up on the offer of questions to follow.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The backlit keyboard works well for the main keys, but the smaller keys, like the function keys are kind of hard to see.

I do not find the computer to be too big or heavy, but then I got pretty bulked up carrying a Wallstreet for four years. The biggest knock against portability is that it is too hot to keep on your lap for any extended period of time. This is especially true if you are doing processor intensive work. It will be cool to work outside in the winter wearing shorts though!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    H-Hour Approaches as the MacProfessionals etc. whatever show in NYC opens this coming week. If there are no updates, I'll be at the terminal buying a 17" PB, but I still haven't heard much about them here. Doesn't anyone care to regale the board with funny stories of machines left on the Acela or DVD's attracting crowds over yor shoulder? I may be obsessed, but I really want to have DVI to plug into my trusty Cinema '22 at home and to justify buying a HD for work (switching them of course).

The idea of going out into the Park with a backlit keyboard under the stars sounds nice. Are these just fantasies>?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I have a 15" which I use in Bryant Park all the time--I imagine it would be much the same to use a 17" there. Good times, free wireless.