You can put your old Hard drive in a G5....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
if you can be bothered doing this..... (Sorry to bring this one up again) Just reading the G5 developer note, and I notice the optical drive has an ATA-100 bus. So..... If you replaced the super drive with a bootable laptop optical drive and used a double plugged ATA cable (a la Cube) you could put your old ata drive on the same bus (as a slave). Obviously it wont be bootable (but thats OK) and you need to get a double plug drive power cable as well... but it would get the drive inside your G5 if you just "HAVE" to have it there

I would prefer a firewire drive myself but some people must have their desks nice and clear

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there is the 3rd drive bay that a lot of people are complaining about...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    If you can boot from the optical drive then why not from a hard drive on the same bus?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

if you can be bothered doing this..... (Sorry to bring this one up again) Just reading the G5 developer note, and I notice the optical drive has an ATA-100 bus. So..... If you replaced the super drive with a bootable laptop optical drive and used a double plugged ATA cable (a la Cube) you could put your old ata drive on the same bus (as a slave). Obviously it wont be bootable (but thats OK) and you need to get a double plug drive power cable as well... but it would get the drive inside your G5 if you just "HAVE" to have it there

I would prefer a firewire drive myself but some people must have their desks nice and clear

I don't understand : you want to replace the superdrive with a bootable laptop optical drive, but you don't want to have a firewire drive on your desk ?

So a laptop optical drive on your desk is all right and not a firewire drive ?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    There are serial ATA adapters. Trying to fit them in there is another thing entirely. Here is two links. link 1 and link 2 As you can see I have researched this a little myself.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

There are serial ATA adapters. Trying to fit them in there is another thing entirely. Here is two links. link 1 and link 2 As you can see I have researched this a little myself.

The problem is that they are not any SATA wire in a G5 tower, the disk are directly plugged in SATA slots. I don't see where you should place this adaptator.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

The problem is that they are not any SATA wire in a G5 tower, the disk are directly plugged in SATA slots. I don't see where you should place this adaptor.

Why is Apple going to make these so difficult to get at? I just watched the G5 movie again to take a look, and it seems your right.

In the image below if you look at the picture you'll notice a grey cable coming off the adapter. I believe that would be the new SATA out that would connect to your SATA in on your G5. Maybe I'm wrong? But needless to say at this point it does not look like it is going to fit. I may have to use my existing PCI - ATA raid card, and come up with a weird hardware hack to get a terabyte + of storage out of this thing. I may be going external. Who can Afford a Apple Xserve Raid starting at $5,999.00 for 720-GB's? That's base price BTW.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    Maybe I didnt make it clear.... All I was saying was for those people who were having a moan about not being able to use their nice new ATA-100 drive with their new G5 "without" putting it in a firewire case, that this was a way. Not a very elegant way, but a way.....

If you take out the Superdrive altogether you would have enough room where it used to be for a laptop-sized optical drive and a 3.5 inch HD, Thats all I meant....
  • Reply 8 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    If you aren't using any PCI cards I would imagine you could physically fit it in there. I'm not sure how you would get those two power cords to it tho...