in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Apple UK web site quotes:

iMac 15working days

TI Book 15working days

PM 9 working days

iBook 9 Working days.

15Days = Jan 16

9 Days = Jan 7.

Does this point the way to new products?

[Edited by admin: no need for all caps title ]

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Nick ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by JW Pepper:

<strong>The Apple UK web site quotes:

iMac 15working days

TI Book 15working days

PM 9 working days

iBook 9 Working days.

15Days = Jan 16

9 Days = Jan 7.

Does this point the way to new products?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I assume you're using "business day" pseudo-math for those calculations? I'm not sure that's what they really mean, though I will admit that it's periodically invoked by Apple.

Let's see if those decrease as time goes on.

The TiBook WAS just updated, so that one's probably just lead time for the new units. I'd eat my hat if they updated it again at Macworld.

I don't know of many people who don't think that the towers and iMacs are going to be updated (though that's nice confirmation).

So I guess maybe we'll see a little iBook bump. There have been some extraordinary deals for the CD-ROM version. (Is the time the same for all configurations?)

edit: Oh, and please don't post all-caps subjects unless you heard something from Steve Jobs himself.

Alex

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Alexander ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    On the US site, it's giving 1-2 days for everything except the new combo drive TiBook, which is saying 5 days.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    tcotco Posts: 87member
    Damn... I need to buy an ibook, and SOON. I would be kicking myself if there was another speed bump or feature change right after I bought. It's always a bad idea to buy right before one of these expos, but I'm kinda screwed on timing.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by TCO:

<strong>Damn... I need to buy an ibook, and SOON. I would be kicking myself if there was another speed bump or feature change right after I bought. It's always a bad idea to buy right before one of these expos, but I'm kinda screwed on timing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eh - you're not screwed so much. Right now you get $100 off a new iBook. If they're updated, you won't get that on the new ones. So, from the discount perspective, right before an expo is usually an excellent time to buy a Mac. Save $100 and treat yourself to a combo drive or something

-S
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Honestly, about the ONLY thing I could see being updated on the iBook (and I'm really pushing it here) is perhaps to outfit it with a combo drive that has an 8x burn speed.

The new combo drive that's going into the Titanium PowerBooks burns at 8x, so...

4x is a bit pokey and "two years ago".

But as for the rest, yes, the iBook was given a fairly major update a couple of months ago (100MHz speed bump, system bus increase AND a $100 price drop on the combo drive model).

I can't see them doing anything too drastic or major (CERTAINLY NOT a screen increase or something silly like that), but I could see perhaps a new, faster-burning combo drive.

Otherwise, the iBook - IMHO - is the snazziest product Apple has going.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pscates

Honestly, about the ONLY thing I could see being updated on the iBook (and I'm really pushing it here) is perhaps to outfit it with a combo drive that has an 8x burn speed.

I think we could see a better newer graphics card, maybe a Geforce2Go? We could also possbily see a 100 Mhz boost.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>On the US site, it's giving 1-2 days for everything except the new combo drive TiBook, which is saying 5 days.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yup
  • Reply 8 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>pscates

I think we could see a better newer graphics card, maybe a Geforce2Go? We could also possbily see a 100 Mhz boost.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What?!? I'll eat a rock.

I don't think they'll do something THAT substantial...not after only doing it two months ago. This is Apple.

The original iBooks routinely went 8 months or so between updates:

- July 1999 MWNY intro (blueberry, tangerine)

- February 2000 Macworld Tokyo (graphite Special Edition, hard drive bumps)

- September 2000 Paris Expo (key lime/indigo, Firewire debut)

- May 2001 (new dual USB iBook...the iChiclet)

Granted, that October speed bump came a bit quicker than I'd ever expected, but I think it's REALLY pushing it to think they'll do it three months later.

Maybe Tokyo in February?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    What?!? I'll eat a rock.

I don't think they'll do something THAT substantial...not after only doing it two months ago. This is Apple.

The original iBooks routinely went 8 months or so between updates:

- July 1999 MWNY intro (blueberry, tangerine)

- February 2000 Macworld Tokyo (graphite Special Edition, hard drive bumps)

- September 2000 Paris Expo (key lime/indigo, Firewire debut)

- May 2001 (new dual USB iBook...the iChiclet)

Granted, that October speed bump came a bit quicker than I'd ever expected, but I think it's REALLY pushing it to think they'll do it three months later.

Maybe Tokyo in February?

I happen to be IN THE KNOW on this one. PSCATES, trust me.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    with the way apple does things, i don't think they're going to update the graphics card for a while. the ibook is supposed to be for students and people who don't need too much out of a graphics card. it would be nice to get an update, but i really don't think it will happen.

though, i could see a boost to 700mhz, but that's all for the ibook.....and i think they'll leave the combo drive at 4x to try to keep a little more differentiation between the pro and consumer lines
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Hmmm, I would doubt that they'll introduce anything new on the ibook... would be very frustrating for those buying themselves rev.b christmas presents, like myself.

I'd be so bummed if there was a faster combo (my combo was delivered to the campus store today).

And if they release a Radeon Mobility!?!?!?!?!?

well I've been terrified of a dead pixel on arrival, but now mebbe I could score a free upgrade. In all seriousness though, they did just release the rev.b of both i and powerbooks....

my moneys on the PM and IM updates

On the powermac, let's see composite/s-video and mic port standard... well mic port anyways
  • Reply 12 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>[b]I happen to be IN THE KNOW on this one. PSCATES, trust me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay, I will. You sound extremely confident.

But, come January 7 and you turn out to be full of it, I'll call you on it.

I would ask HOW you're so sure, but if you truly do know and aren't just slinging crap, you couldn't (or shouldn't) be telling me anyway, right?

Just PLEASE don't say something stupid like "I have a friend that works for Apple and two nights ago I got him drunk and he..."

Too much of that crap going on here as it is.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 15
    lol, I remember that...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Maybe Tokyo in February?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Almost for sure, but it's in March.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Even better then!