Wireless routing & DHCP question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Recently, I've gotten me one of those free ip addresses that you can update to reflect your current IP address (useful if you want to serve up webpages or stuff like that but are on a dynamic IP address). My question: I am behind a wireless linksys router, and I use DHCP to get my LAN IP address. I use port forwarding (port 80) to my LAN IP address (192.168.1.100) so people can access my comp on the LAN from outside.

The problem I foresee is the following: 192.168.1.100 is the first IP address the router is set to distribute, so if someone else on the network (currently some three comps in total) starts up their comp before I do, they'll get the 192.168.1.100 address, and my webserver will be unaccessible, even though I might very well be online.

Of course, I could re-configure my router every time I wish to start up my server, but I'm not a fan of that, sadly enough. So I was wondering.

Basically what I want is a FIXED IP address on my LAN, but I want the DHCP server to keep on doing its thing for the other peeps here (and for my own ethernet port).

I think what I could use is the "DHCP with manual IP address" option in MacOS X, just for my ibook. How can I use this function? And more importantly, how do I tell my router not to distribute MY IP address to anybody else? (the model is BEFW11S4 v.2)

Help!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Problem is solved. I have to use the setting 'manual IP'. Hmmm. Still need to check if the other comps can access the net.