G4 DP800 and future CPU upgrades.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all , i am not sure if the current or future hardware sections is the correct place to post this but seeing as i have a G4 i am going to plonk it here.

I have a QS G4 DP-800 with a Apple 17"LCD , OWC sourced OEM Radeon 32MB video card , CD-RW and 1.5Gigs of RAM , 2x80Gig Seagate Cuda IV drives and an external LaCie firewire 120Gig HD.( I have the original 64MB GF3 card stored away as the beast does not do the business in regards to 2d visual quality in the CM series..driver i think are the problem..only used it for 3 months before i was ablle to lay my hands on the preferred Radeon )

I have OS9.2.2 and OS10.2.6 on both internal hard drives..but i spend just about all my time in OS9 due to my obsession with a game series called Combat Mission which as a hobby make i vehicle textures for using PS5.

CM does not like OSX or vice versa in that the RAVE API(?) needs extra support for CM to run in OSX like it does in OS9. I dont think we will see any support coming from Apple as they have said OS9 is dead to them. That being said i want to hold onto my CM games for ever and a day ..my obsession is that bad

The game developers are currently working on 2 new games..one is CM- Afrika Korps whick will likely be the same as their earlier releases and wont run ( except in software mode ) in OSX. The other project is CMX2 which is a complete new rebuild of the game engine and it WILL support and run in OSX. That game engine is at least 12-18 months+ away from seeing the light of day.

The present engine does not offer dual cpu support..but i have heard that the future rewrite will be dual aware.It *may also* come on dvd

That as it my be..my question is in regards to the possibility of further relelases of new higher clocked CPU upgrade cards.

I am looking at the Giga and Mercury extreme 1.46gHz cards as possible candidates to give my mac some extra oompf. I would also like to get a bigger display ..the 20" Cinema is very nice but i have not heard what the screen looks like in OS9 ( i am aware that you cannot alter the brightness in OS 9 ) ..so that leaves the 23". For that i would need the retail Radeon 8500 and a ADC adapter.

Curently i have priced the following parts for a revamp.

OWC Extreme 1.46gHz G4 - $575

Radeon 8500 $170

Pioneer Superdrive $185

DVI-ADC adapter $99

Total $1029 and not forgetting the 23" LCD at $2000

So my questions are......

Will there be faster cpu upgrade modules in the next 3-9 months?

Would it be worth my while to change over to new faster single proc G4 cpu upgrades?

or.....should i sit tight ...find some spare space( for my G4 rig ) and save the $3029 for a new G5 and big screen nearer the time of the release of the CMX2 game engine ?

Thanks

Makor