Sound Card in new G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What is it? Who makes it?

A friend who uses a PC was talking to me about all the woes with her PC's innards and I wanted to tell her about the G5's sound setup...but all I know is that it's got optical and analog in/outs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there is no soundcard, it is integrated onto the mobo...

in fact macs have always had their sound integrated....
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    For details on the sound, look to Apple's preliminary G5 Developer Note on the ADC site:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...PowerMacG5.pdf
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

What is it? Who makes it?

A friend who uses a PC was talking to me about all the woes with her PC's innards and I wanted to tell her about the G5's sound setup...but all I know is that it's got optical and analog in/outs.

Integrated on the mobo is a Sony/Philips sound chip with analog/digital I/O at 32, 44.1, and 48 KHz sampling rates.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The G5 Sound setup is pretty nice. The only thing missing is multiple outputs but only a Musician would really require that. The Optical is nice because it will support hundreds of low cost digital gear(Minidisc, CD Burners etc). Dolby Digital support is there now. A nice step up for Audio Lovers.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    This is Current hardware....
  • Reply 6 of 7
    flyhigherflyhigher Posts: 35member
    So will the Apple DVD player support 5.1 output with the G5? I currently use a Sonica, but it's nor supported by Apple's DVD player. The only app I can find that uses it is VLC, but that's still beta and has a tendency to crash.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yes it will