The next iDevice... US Patent 20020194295

jpfjpf
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is it the iPhone? Or the new plastic skin for the next iPod?

What if your new iDevice actually changed colors to your music? What if your new iDevice glowed "red" for reminding you of your late appointment? What if it turned colors when you walked past someone with another new iDevice? What if it turned "pink" and "red" when somebody was flirting with you? What if it changed to designs and colors to your mode?

I put forth a bold new idea for device interaction from Apple for discussion ... US Patent 20020194295

"Computing device with dynamic ornamental appearance

Abstract

The invention pertains to electronic devices capable of dynamically changing their ornamental or decorative appearance, i.e., the outer appearance as seen by a user. The electronic devices generally include an illuminable housing. The illuminable housing, which includes at least one wall configured for the passage of light, is configured to enclose, cover and protect a light arrangement as well as functional components of the electronic device. The light arrangement, which generally includes one or more light sources, is configured to produce light for transmission through the light passing wall(s) of the illuminable housing. The transmitted light illuminates the wall(s) thus giving the wall a new appearance. That is, the transmitted light effectively alters the ornamental or decorative appearance of the electronic device. In most cases, the light is controlled so as to produce a light effect having specific characteristics or attributes. As such, the electronic device may be configured to provide additional feedback to the user of the electronic device and to give users the ability to personalize or change the look of their electronic device on an on-going basis. That is, a housing of the electronic device is active rather than passive, i.e., the housing has the ability to adapt and change. For example, the light may be used to exhibit a housing behavior that reflects the desires or moods of the user, that reflects inputs or outputs for the electronic device, or that reacts to tasks or events associated with operation of the electronic device. "

[EDIT ADDING: United States Patent Application 20020190975 Kind Code A1 Kerr, Duncan December 19, 2002 Inventors: Kerr, Duncan; (San Francisco, CA) Correspondence Name and Address:

BEYER WEAVER & THOMAS LLP

P.O. BOX 778

BERKELEY

CA

94704-0778

US

Assignee Name and Adress: Apple Computers, Inc.

]

[ 12-27-2002: Message edited by: JPF ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by JPF:

<strong>... What if it turned "pink" and "red" when somebody was flirting with you? ...]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perfect! I never realize it myself when someone is flirting with me.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Could be as simple as an LCD front panel to display Xserve style diagnostics on a PowerMac...
  • Reply 3 of 33
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JPF:

[QB]Is it the iPhone? Or the new plastic skin for the next iPod?

It is most definetly the new skin for the iPod/iPhone gadget.

Or one of those hundreds of patents that never actually

get used in any product, IBM has like "billions" of these

interesting but sometimes little amusing patents.

But on the other hand it might be used someday,

just think about those wild flowerpower iMacs.

That look was soo much way ahead of its time!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Then again, Steve Jobs could be on one of his acid trips again.

Flower Power and Dalmation themed iPods!

;-)
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Polaroid has a new iZone camera coming that changes skin color when you touch it (the camera's not yours).
  • Reply 6 of 33
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Amazing how people can alway scome up with new ways to drain your battery faster!

(assuming this is for a cellphone/hand held device)
  • Reply 7 of 33
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Polaroid has a new iZone camera coming that changes skin color when you touch it (the camera's not yours).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is this similar to the old Bic ball point pens that changed color to white when you warmed them with your hand? If so it's really not what this patent is describing...
  • Reply 8 of 33
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    When I read this I don't think of some kind of goofy "mood" phone.

Think about how this could apply to the iPod. I see this lighting technique as a way to be walking around with your iPod MP3 player when suddenly, it rings and the light s make it look like a phone, with a lit touchpad, or similar.

Not some hopkey color changes, I'm talking lit GUI that change as needed or when needed.

With the use of a thin translucent plastic that serves as a solid state touchpad (like the ipods current jogwheel) combined with low power, yet bright LEDS just under the surface of this thing, the results could be very cool.

MSKR

MSKR
  • Reply 9 of 33
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    probably wouldn't take much more battery to change screen colors to reflect the operation with an OLED screen.

..and just think if they made the ipod so that it could record audio directly, you could record your phone conversations, the ACLU will love that one..

[ 12-27-2002: Message edited by: Bigc ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 33
    The patent application number listed at the beginning of this thread is incorrect; the number sited has nothing to do with Apple. The correct number is: US20020190975A1.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    No, the first number is correct when using the USPTO website's patent application file number search.

It is strange, though, that the "assignee" name is plural - Apple Computers, Inc. This is not the true business name for Apple Computer, Inc. Why would a lawyer make such a mistake, albeit it is a small one, but still an obvious mistake.

I do still think it is the Apple that we know and love, but this is an odd mistake to make on a patent application.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    not to burst anyone's bubble, but the Assignee on the patent is "Apple Computers, Inc." and not "Apple Computer, Inc."

this may be a typo, but this whole patent seems a little wacky for apple. i can see it having some uses (ie the glowing white sleep indicator on the iBook) but an iMac that can change colors according to the user's input. i don't think style conscious Steve Jobs would allow that.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by headboy:

<strong>not to burst anyone's bubble, but the Assignee on the patent is "Apple Computers, Inc." and not "Apple Computer, Inc."

this may be a typo, but this whole patent seems a little wacky for apple. i can see it having some uses (ie the glowing white sleep indicator on the iBook) but an iMac that can change colors according to the user's input. i don't think style conscious Steve Jobs would allow that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The more research I do, the more the missing "s" looks like a typo. there were quite a few patents filed during that week in February, mostly having to do with laptop enclosures. I am therefore beginning to suspect that something is either up or these were filed just in case. INteresting to note that is

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002789"; target="_blank">this thread</a>which refers to a thread on MacNN about new iBooks that says "The new iBooks will feature a new enclosure. They're supposately extremely sweet machines."

The pre-Macworld frenzy continues!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    "pre-Macworld frenzy"? Puh-leeze!

I haven't ever seen these boards so dead at MW minus less than two weeks. Remember last year when Fran441 had a thousand plus message thread going?

Where/What is this year's 1000 plus message thread?

BTW: Another review on MS Tablets:

<a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20021227/RO1TECH-1/Headlines/headdex/headdexBusiness_temp/17/17/51/"; target="_blank">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20021227/RO1TECH-1/Headlines/headdex/headdexBusiness_temp/17/17/51/</a>;

"Bill Gates may one day be remembered as the unlikely saviour of handwriting."

Aries 1B

[ 12-28-2002: Message edited by: Aries 1B ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Is this the same device that was originally designed by the guys at IDEO?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    shudder...to think Microsoft may "be on their way to making a significant breakthrough" is disturbing. I do forgive people, but should we not remember that Apple actually pioneered the PDA handwriting recognition technology? I STILL want to get a Newton off eBay -- it'd just be fun to have one, despite that it'd be really hard to interface with anything. But please, Apple -- if you're scanning these boards like I hope you do, earnestly seeking "black-market underground pics," -- please dethrone Microsoft from their currently inadequate position at the top of tablets.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    I've been very impressed with the x86 tablet I've seen. It has an Intel processor that doesn't heat your privates.

It runs Apps well enough. Word, drawing apps...

Handwriting recognition? Very good. It recognised mine!

Could Apple build a better one?

I believe so.

I await.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 18 of 33
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Oh please people, Gates even said himself on CNN, 'this breakthrough technology is only good for short sentences, if people want to write an email or a long letter, they still need to use a keyboard'. Not very cool sounding or breakthrough-ish to me.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    how is you (digital) lifestyle looking?

plain white?

titanium?

acrylic?

beige?

or more IKEA-wooden, deep blue, linen?

imagine a "computer" as a heart of your digital lifestyle components, which is able to camouflage (spelling!) the look of all your other machines & furniture.....-

in another thread i mentioned the idea of the "virtual" machine...- this is step one!
  • Reply 20 of 33
    mwa ha ha ha ha

and there were those who mocked when i mentioned OLED skinned machines.....