4th Generation iPod

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This speculation is from MacOSRumors, so take it with about a pound of salt:

Quote:

The first major advance we'll probably see will come early next year -- a new display paired with a matching new enclosure. Somewhat larger, higher resolution, and perhaps even with limited support for color, the display will primarily be there to enable nifty visual features in a new version of the iPod operating system (v3.0) that will look more modern with more animation when functions are activated, official audio recording support (with an audio input jack, most likely), and the real showstopper: a V isualizer for the iPod's new display.

Color support is, to be honest, less than likely due to cost concerns - but with a moderately higher resolution, even a monotone display can mesmerize with the right Visualizer effects. The iPod 3.0 will have many other nifty features that Apple is keepin g under its hat for now, but the visualizer, audio input/recording, and updated display are the primary features we're expecting from the iPod's year ahead. Of course, hard drives of 40-60GB+ with better file transfer performance and lower prices -- Apple 's goal is a $199 entry-level iPod within a year -- are all expected as well.

P.S. a "monotone" display would mean one color. Obviously he means monochromatic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Of course, hard drives of 40-60GB+ with better file transfer performance and lower prices -- Apple 's goal is a $199 entry-level iPod within a year -- are all expected as well.

Damn. I would have loved that
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I hope that is more likely than the goal of a sub$500 iMac of last year.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    $199 is not improbable. The iPod has the best profit margin of any consumer product that Apple sells.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

$199 is not improbable. The iPod has the best profit margin of any consumer product that Apple sells.

20 or 30 gig at $199 would kick ass.

that would be neat if it was like

I still wouldn't mind seeing a "pro" pod, that has all the bells and whistles(recording cabability, FM built in, longer battery life maybe, and in black)
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

[...]and in black)

What does Apple even make in black? Try Aluminum (with chrome wheel...)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    A visualizer for the iPod is stupid. Who stares at their iPods screen? You just glance down at it to see the song thats playing or to use the menus. This is a load of crap. There won't ever be a visualizer and probably never a color screen either. There's just NO point.

Now...if its something completely different from a "portable music player" - maybe. But the way the iPod is today, no way.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    But a black iPod would be so cool looking

but, I guess Alu is the new thang these days.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

But a black iPod would be so cool looking

but, I guess Alu is the new thang these days.

I agree with you AND your sig!!!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I'd really like to see a metal ipod. Much more scratch resistant and durable than plastic.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I'd really like to see a metal ipod. Much more scratch resistant and durable than plastic.

I can't wait for copper to be the new metal of the moment!!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    sceetersceeter Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I can't wait for copper to be the new metal of the moment!!

They will slowly update features, slowly update case, and extend life of iPod upgrades for at least 5 years.

In 5-10, they will be paper thin, hold terabytes of data, have color, fold up screen, and will do almost everything your Mac can do.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Audio in should have been there from day one. When they come out with an iPod that can record MP3 or even better AAC I'll buy a new one. If anyone wants to buy my 5 gig then, let me know. Comes with 5 gigs of the best music you've never heard of, guaranteed.