downloading pages using Safari

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
newbie question alert: Well, I'm not really a newbie - but I am quite ignorant of HTML stuff and internet protocols. Anyway...

When I save a web page using Safari, it does not save any pictures or graphs and I find this frustrating. Am I doing something wrong - or am I expecting too much from a web browser?

I remember using the Scrapbook feature in IE and it preserved images correctly, yet Safari seems to ignore them when saving to a desktop. I do this so I can read articles at my leisure later on when not connected to the web.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'd like to insert an example web page that I downloaded, but when I click on the image button it asks for text to be formatted? I don't get this - please dumb it down for me!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i don't believe Safari can save a page as a web acrhive like IE, which saves the pictures. it would be nice if Safari did this
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i don't believe Safari can save a page as a web acrhive like IE, which saves the pictures. it would be nice if Safari did this

Absolutely - I sort of thought that all web browsers would be capable of this ... although my only experience is with IE and Safari.

Anyway, is this something only I would like? Surely there must be more than one person who thinks this would be a good feature. Or do most people simply not download info from the web like I do?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    david101david101 Posts: 73member
    I saved a web page perfectly happily using safari the other day.

Just did the usual Ctrl-click (i.e the equivalent of pc right-click) and hit "save page as".

Pictures/photos and such were all intact.

I'm still only using a beta of safari, but can't be bothered to change it yet.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

Just did the usual Ctrl-click (i.e the equivalent of pc right-click) and hit "save page as".

I'm still only using a beta of safari, but can't be bothered to change it yet.

Well, I'm using Verion 1.0(v85) and it doesn't save pictures - but I never recalled it saving pictures whenI I was running the beta version either.

Hmm - what gives? (anybody else with similar problems?)
  • Reply 5 of 16
    cookiescookies Posts: 61member
    You can use wget to download files with images, etc. Open Terminal and do something like this:

wget -p "http://thewebsite/page";

Like if I wanted to get Yahoo.com, I would do

wget -p "http://www.yahoo.com/";

wget saves the HTML pages with images into a directory, and any browser can open it.

btw, you can download wget from

http://www.myersdaily.org/joseph/not...re/wget.tar.gz

(108 KB)

(Note, you have to type the actual file name of wget in order to use this command, unless you mess with $PATH and all that stuff. For example, if you download wget to your desktop, and then put wget into your Home folder, then you would have to type "~/wget -p http://www.yahoo.com/")

(If you want to do it the easier way, then copy wget, after you have opened it, into the hidden folder /usr/bin . Then you won't need to type anything except "wget -p blahblahblah")

Sorry, I'm a programmer, so I always think of the easiest way of doing things--but it's the hardest. :-)
  • Reply 6 of 16
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Well, I'm using Verion 1.0(v85) and it doesn't save pictures - but I never recalled it saving pictures whenI I was running the beta version either.

Hmm - what gives? (anybody else with similar problems?)

Just tried to save a page control/click and right click on my mouse when pages were reopened they didnt embed the images like a waff web archive file ... I HATE to say this but my exeperience shows me IE does have one up on Safari in this respect. I use this function a lot and find my self jumping between not wanting to support M$ , loving tabbed browsing and not getting all I need from safari... but then Im runnining Safari 1.0(v74) so who knows.

Also having problem down loading images onto desktop with a preview icon with safari works perfectly in IE... damn this all... where's Opera....
  • Reply 7 of 16
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    When I want to save a web page i goto file->print->save as pdf 8) <- I quit smoking! (Now I actually taste stuff its neat )
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Elric Hey - not a bad idea! I'll give it a shot, although it still does not address my concern with Safari.

Celco I hear you buddy... I feel the same way in terms of wishing Safari would do it all and acknowledging at the same time that IE has it beat in some regards. \

cookies Excellent research and thanks for it. But when I'm web browisng I'd prefer to stay in a GUI environment and not have to hunker down to the Terminal for what should be a simple integrated feautre.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

it doesn't save the pictures
  • Reply 10 of 16
    burningwheel - Have you been able to get Safari to save pictures? What version do you have?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

it doesn't save the pictures

If you Save As and then open the the resulting html file while still online, the pictures load.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by josephg

If you Save As and then open the the resulting html file while still online, the pictures load.

I think some of you are missing the point. This function does not save the pictures and linked media *locally*. If they load at all from the saved file, it's because they still have the full path linking back to the originating server.

Safari only saves the HTML.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I think some of you are missing the point. This function does not save the pictures and linked media *locally*. If they load at all from the saved file, it's because they still have the full path linking back to the originating server.

Safari only saves the HTML.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Brad - If what you say is correct, then how come IE can save the images? Wouldn't this be a simple thing for Apple's engineers to implement? It sounds like a blatant oversight on a proper release of web browser software. I'm sort of surprised that this sort of thing was not discovered earlier in the development phase.

At the same time, I'm embarrassed to admit that I did not discover it (or, if I did, I neglected to report it as a bug) during the beta release! D'oh
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Brad - If what you say is correct, then how come IE can save the images? Wouldn't this be a simple thing for Apple's engineers to implement? It sounds like a blatant oversight on a proper release of web browser software. I'm sort of surprised that this sort of thing was not discovered earlier in the development phase.

At the same time, I'm embarrassed to admit that I did not discover it (or, if I did, I neglected to report it as a bug) during the beta release! D'oh

it would be easy to Apple to implement i suspect. you can still report bugs to apple
  • Reply 16 of 16
    good one - done!

(just wanted to confirm that I wasn't the only one experiencing this problem)