iBook reinstall gone wrong. Help Plz?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My iBook closed down in the middle of an upgrade (10.2.3 to 10.2.6) because of low battery. After I charged it up it refused to restart giving me just a blue screen.

I eventually, after trying several things, decided to reinstall from the original iBook discs and it is here that I think I did something wrong.

Because of the problems I chose the "Erase all data' option. I left the hard disc format on the default which was ( from memory) something "extended " ????

Anyway, now my iBook starts up and works but the desktop occupies only about a third of the size of the whole screen. What have I done ? We do have three iBooks in the school and I may have used the wrong discs ( ie 12" rather than 14") but surely that wouldn't do this?

I know system 9 will probably be gone now but I didn't really use it anyway.

Oh, one last thing. I don't know if it's important but in system prefs there is only one option for displays rather than the two or three resolutions before.

Help please. It is under warranty but I'd rather fix it myself than send it away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    See if in the system prefrences displays panel there is a check box that is titled "show only recommended displays" and uncheck that box.

If you haven't put any data on the system, I myself would probably take the 15 minutes and reinstall the OS from the proper cd. I too though, doubt the cd you used would make a difference. You might also try resetting the PRAM, (on restart, hold down Cmd+Opt+P+R)