Choosing between Ibook and powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am having a hard time deciding between the top Ibook model (14inch) and the 15 inch (current) powerbook.

I cant wait for the new powerbook upgrade, I need a laptop NOW. I am primarily going to use it for CAD drawing in formz, a little photoshop and illustrator. Note that I say CAD drawing, not so much rendering. Super high speeds is not that essential. I know the powerbook is a better choice. BUT, Its higher priced and its soon to be outdated.

So what do you say? Is Ibook also close to a update?

The Price difference for me (I live in Norway) is 500$.

And one more question: Is it smarter to buy the laptops with minimum RAM and buy cheaper RAM elsewhere?

Armas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    The TiBook will soon be updated and prices will drop. I'd recommend holding out for a discounted Ti. The G4 will last you longer, the screen is higher resolution, you can change the hard disc without much hassle and you can run an external display in "extended" rather than "mirrored" mode.

Personally, I don't like the 14" iBook. It doesn't look as cute as the 12" but that shouldn't bother you!

Finally, spec the minimum amount of RAM and buy extra RAM online, it's standard stuff. Apple charges top dollar for RAM!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    If you are doing CAD, buy a PC with Windows. There you have MicroStation and AutoCAD etc... Standard common CAD tools.

If you choose Mac then it's easy. If 12" screen is too small, buy 15" PowerBook. 14" iBook is too expensive --> price vs. power. The price of 12" iBook is good, but price of 14" iBook isn't so good anymore, because then 12" PowerBook gives more.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    armasarmas Posts: 6member
    Thanks for replies. the point is that I want the tibook, but cant wait any longer, so I cant wait for further pricedrops or new models.

Concerning CAD on MAC.

I dont use microstation or Autocad, I use FormZ and want to learn MAYA. Btw. Autocad is on its way to mac.

Leaning towards the tibook, but I am really frustrated that they have'nt updated it yet.

There is one last option but it has a few criterias:

1. Online apple store i Argentina (have'nt found it online)

2. Worldwide guarranties for Laptops (buying in Argentina, repairing in Norway the next year)

3. Low prices in Argentina

Or,

A purchase at the Norwegian Apple online stoer and then shipping it to Buenos Aires in Argentina.

Is this making any sense?

Its complicated, and I am running aout of time.

Armas
  • Reply 4 of 5
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Armas

Thanks for replies. the point is that I want the tibook, but cant wait any longer, so I cant wait for further pricedrops or new models.

Leaning towards the tibook, but I am really frustrated that they have'nt updated it yet.

PowerBook is best for you. Don't buy anything before Macworld CreativePro ? New York Jul 14 - Jul 18. New products might be released there.

Quote:

Autocad is on its way to mac.

There won't be AutoCAD for Mac, because it's has been full Windows product since 1992 or 1994. Too big transition from Windows to Mac OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I think the Latin American Apple store is what you want, if you're going to be in Buenos Aires (no clue on how the international repair works, though I think with Applecare extended warranty plan you get worldwide repair service... not sure if it applies to the standard warranty or not):

Spanish: http://www.apple.com/la/

English: http://www.apple.com/lae/

You can also search for Apple resellers in Buenos Aires as well... this is from a google search (verified as Apple reseller on the Latin American Apple site)

Alfauno:

http://www.alfauno.com.ar