eMac Upgrades...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How hard is it to upgrade the CD drive and hard drive of an eMac?

I'm debating an eMac purchase and the $750 (EDU) pricepoint looks great... the 1GHz version looks good too, and if this hack prooves to be too much of a pain in the ass I will probably go with the $1150 model... but it would be nice to save $400 even if I get the older Mobo...

assuming I stick with the 40 giger for now and spend $200 on a good 4x Superdrive... how hard would it be to install it into the eMac? Has anyone here done this before? Are there any online tutorials available? Will this void the warranty? Will upgrading just the hard drive void the warranty?

TIA for the help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    okay.... bump... 90 views and no replies....

anyone have any comments? good idea? bad idea? anyone even opened an eMac at all? This WILL void the warranty, yes? how cheap can I get the A06 pioneer? Will apple be able to tell if I did this assuming I would swap the old drive back into the computer? Is this immoral?

WHAT DO THE 50+ people who read this thread THINK?!

throw me a bone here people!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I think Apple uses standard, PC components to build its machines. So The HD is a no-brainer, just put it in, boot up from the CD, Format, and install your illegally obtained "Phanter" 10.3 preview.

AFA Superdrive, hell, you could even look up the specific model Apple uses and buy that exact model from somewhere (search for the component).

An example of the latter would be the $199 Powerbook G4 slotloading Combo drive eshop.macsales.com sells.

Hell, you could buy something sweeter than the 2x SD.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Paul, do you really have 3915 posts, or is that some sort of UBB snafu?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ernest emacernest emac Posts: 108member
    Paul, is this any use to you?

eMac in bits
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Paul, do you really have 3915 posts, or is that some sort of UBB snafu?

no... that is correct... \
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

Paul, is this any use to you?

eMac in bits

ah... cool beans...

doesn't look too bad at all...

but it does look like I won't be able to get away with it without apple knowing I did SOMETHING to the inside...

damn you 1 year warranty and the crappy eMac videocard!

for that one reason alone I may elect to bite the bullet and get the $1150 machine...

thanks for the link