How To Make a VCD?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have some flicks on my computer in the dreaded avi "format", and I was wondering if anyone out there in teevee land knows how to make them into a vcd. I know toast can burn vcds, but it seems to want mpegs (or bin/cue files). So, does anyone know how to convert avi's (I don't know exactly what codec they are) to mpg/mpeg or to bin/cue files? Preferably, I'd like to use oss and freely available tools (I try to stay about as clean as I can wrt software), but I guess I could be tempted to use shareware products if necessary (i'm on a budget and thence can't really pay for this software, so I'd be scumbagging the shareware developers). I know some mac users had to have hit this problem before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well I can't really help you, but my question is somewhat related...-is there any way to get video data OFF a vcd you have made with toast? the vob file is just a mpg file i know, but I have had some trouble getting it off the vcd after burning it...

have you been at all successful with this?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

well I can't really help you, but my question is somewhat related...-is there any way to get video data OFF a vcd you have made with toast? the vob file is just a mpg file i know, but I have had some trouble getting it off the vcd after burning it...

have you been at all successful with this?

from that side, i think its pretty easy. find the mpg, and copy to your hd, changing the name to end in '.mpg' instead of '.vob' or whatever. (If it aint the vob file, it should be the fattest file on the cd.) I haven't tried that in a while, but its my understanding that vcds dont do any kind of garbling or anything to the file. So, all you gotta do is change the name.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i found something that can convert avi's to mpg's: ffmpeg. it can do a lot more than just avi<->mpg. i had actually installed it a while ago (in an attempt at making vcds) and forgot about it. if anyone is interested, http://ffmpeg.sf.net/.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mangomango Posts: 9member
    Here is where you can get the most recent version of ffmpegX along with tutorials and links to the ffmpegX forum.

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/