Python and Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone got any more info on this?

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...ne/036630.html

It claims Python will be used for some essential parts of Mac OS X Panther.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    wow! that is cool (because python rocks IMHO)

• Reply 2 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    interesting, i wonder just what panther does with python and why Apple required the latest then-unreleased version.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    <space><space><space>Sounds

<space><space><space><space>Interesting...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'll admit it i'm lazy, can you explain what it is?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    programing language responsible for google...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    code mastercode master Posts: 344member
    Python is a programming language that is so much better than C or C++ or Java or whatever. Though it is syntactically similar to C in most ways, it is object oriented in a way C++ can only dream of, is interpreted rather than compiled (I wish you could make standalone apps though) which also helps in debugging things, and leaves arrays and pointers in the dust. And though it is slower than C (being interpreted and all), you can make python wrappers for C code so that you can have the power of Python and the speed of C. There are even Objective-C/Python bridges under development (they appear on versiontracker now and then).

This is all very good news! I'm pretty excited about it (I didn't know Jaguar came with Python... that could explain why I had troubles installing it here)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Python is weakly typed, (basically typeless - all types are deduced from context) has ubiquitous metaclass access, and basically lets you darned near anything you want as compared to the straightjacket and handcuffs that is C++. (Java's just the straightjacket, and Obj-C is a mildly tight corset. Er, not that I'd know.)

OTOH, it's a wonderful language with few user-oriented application facilities... which is where PyObjC comes to the rescue, letting you mix and match Python and Obj-C (ie, Cocoa, ie, world class GUI tools).

FWIW, it's the main glue for my dissertation in software engineering.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Python isn't quite the holy grail for Panther, but it does give meaning to life for guys named Brian sitting in IT rooms singing silly songs... oh, wait, I'm thinking of something completely different.