Web Hosting on my OSX iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Alright guys... this is a bit embarssing to ask as a consider myself to be a bit of a techy.

I have successfully turned my OSX iMac into an Apache web-server using all the built in tools. I registered a domain for the site and now want to get things running.

I am confused as to what information specifically I need to input to the site where the domain is registered and where I find that information on my mac.

The site wants a host name and an IP address?

ack... I am lost and could use some help!

thanks

oh and the website is here for now:

http://h-68-164-0-6.chcgilgm.covad.net/~alex/

(not the finished version though)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    you need to enter the internet ip of the machine. If you are using a modem then go to a web site that can give you the ip of the machine. If you are using DSL or a leased line then you should know the internet ip range you have.

So now you have your IP. You will also need someone to do the DNS for you if your domain host doesn't. There are some free dns sites again you need to search.

Normally only web server ip and dns is required. You can enter SMTP and other stuff on some of the more detailed registers.

Hope this helps.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    alright! I signed up for a DNS, inputted it all into the registar, and inputed my IP there...

Is there anything else I need to do on my mac after the register has my IP?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Heres what i did..

I registered at ZoneEdit.com, which gave me 2 host names and IP addresses to input at my registar. After inputing the information there, I went back and entered my domain name, my information, and my IP address at ZoneEdit.

At Zone Edit it says:

"If you see a warning near the top of this screen that says "Your nameservers are incorrect", then any updates you make will take effect when your nameservers have switched. You must call your registrar (the company you purchased your domain from) to make this switch in order for our servers to have the authority to serve DNS for your domain. This initial switch will take 3 days."

and at domainpeople.com (my registar) it says:

"Update Complete ! : Whois update will take effect within 30 minutes. Changes will be issued into the root zone files within 24 hours. Full propagation over the Internet of name server changes may take 48 hours or more. Thank you. "

So I am guessing I have to wait awhile before the update takes effect? I think it might be worth it for me to manually change my IP when needed. The only time the IP changes is when I reconnect.

I think it may work? If you guys have any more advice that'd be great!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    When does a dynamic IP change? login/logout?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

When does a dynamic IP change? login/logout?

depends on your provider, and what kind of internet hookup you got. if you have an old style modem (a 56k, 28.8, 14.4, 9600 baud or similar), then everytime you connect to the internet you'll get a differnet ip. if you have an always-on internet conn, like cable-modem, dsl, t1, or whatever, then it depends on your isp. my "dynamic" ip hasn't changed in many months, but could at any minute (on the whim of my provider; i have a cable-modem). if u have a dynamic ip and plan on hosting a server of any kind, then its generally a good idea to spend the extra money on getting an always on internet conn, and spending a little more cash on a static ip (your isp should have some kind of static ip package). i like to play the odds, and just work with a dynamic ip, but i dont have a dns (and i dont know how difficult it is to change the ip pointing to a dns, if i did have one).