"And you'll see why 1984 won't be like '1984.'"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
"On January 24th, Apple will release Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like '1984.'"

Q: when is the MacExpo 2004?

? on jan 24th....?

what will steve show as the one more thing? the G5 is allready sold, the panther is on its way - the 3GHz Über-Cube, in a cheese grader design?

does it make any economical sense nowadays to produce a 20th anniversary product just for the fans?

i marked this day in iCal........

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Are you talking about Macworld Expo San Francisco 2004?

That will take place on January 5-9.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Yes, but he's implying that Apple will do something special to mark the 20th anniversary of the Mac. The 5th-9th is close enough.

So what's it gonna be?

Return of Spartacus?

Return of the Cube?

Return of Sculley?

Hey k_munic, if you want this thread to last, rename it something intelligent like 20th Anniversary Mac Thread, OK?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

[i] ...

Hey k_munic, if you want this thread to last, rename it something intelligent like 20th Anniversary Mac Thread, OK? [/B]

well, thanks for your advice, but i did name this thread so, cause there are dozend of 20th anni threads out there - what came in my mind to me, was the coincidence (spelling?) of 20th anniversary AND the date "nearby" the MWSF (or where ever, whenever ;-))

as i wrote: the one part is the "does it make sense", we all remember the first anniversary model, we do all remember the Cube (i'm a Cubist!) - so, why should apple spend money for an afficionado machine?

on the other hand: 20 years is a long time in computer business - ITM was a bang, G5 is a bang, panther will be - so, how to top THAT?

i'm quite sure there will be ANYTHING! steve likes his job and his company, there will be a party...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I'd be happy with a simple Monolith, like in 2001 Space Odyssey, that will make monkeys worship it. Of course, it'd be three years late, which probably means it'll have a Motorola processor.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

I'd be happy with a simple Monolith, like in 2001 Space Odyssey, that will make monkeys worship it. Of course, it'd be three years late, which probably means it'll have a Motorola processor.

you mean this one?

http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/History...030/page3.html
  • Reply 6 of 20
    macnn suxmacnn sux Posts: 36member
    actually, all jokes aside.

Apple makes anniversary products.

So let's hope they try again and maybe we'll have another innovative masterpiece and maybe this time it will be sucessful now that with every anniversary the computer market exapnsds with more expeirenced users.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    It will be very interesting to see what ( if something) comes out. I really hope they do something, its not often a brand name like Macintosh lasts for 20 years. The older 20th ani model was for the company not the mac.. so this one will be different.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

you mean this one?

interesting that Steve Jobs' NeXT company used two-button mice.

Why can't apple
  • Reply 9 of 20
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    its 1984 and its clear that IBM wants it all...

its 2003 and its clear that IBM wants it all...lets give it to them
  • Reply 10 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

you mean this one?

Technology is crazy man... you could load this puppy up with a massive 1.4 GB hard drive... and now you can get a PowerMac with 8 GB of frickin' RAM. Nuts.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Technology is crazy man... you could load this puppy up with a massive 1.4 GB hard drive... and now you can get a PowerMac with 8 GB of frickin' RAM. Nuts.

And upto 64MB of RAM! My Pismo has 1GB
  • Reply 12 of 20
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

"On January 24th, Apple will release Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like '1984.'"

Q: when is the MacExpo 2004?

? on jan 24th....?

what will steve show as the one more thing? the G5 is allready sold, the panther is on its way - the 3GHz Über-Cube, in a cheese grader design?

does it make any economical sense nowadays to produce a 20th anniversary product just for the fans?

i marked this day in iCal........

Like JLL said, MacWorld Expo SF 2004 is between January 5-9, but on a side note ... Apple (for the past couple of years) has made Pro-Line Desktop announcements after the SF and NY expos. I don't think this year's NY Creative Expo counts as a MW in SJ's eyes. But, back to subject, it would be great timing (Jan. 24th) for an updated pro powermac. Is Jan. 24, 2004 a Monday or Tuesday?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Saturday
  • Reply 14 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai

Apple (for the past couple of years) has made Pro-Line Desktop announcements after the SF and NY expos.

Well, after the last time the PowerMac was announced at an Expo (the Quicksilvers, at MWNY), I can't blame them. That was the worst keynote Steve has delivered since he returned to Apple.

After that debacle, Apple timed the releases so that the people who needed to know would know, but they weren't exactly showing them off. I expect PowerMac announcements to retake center stage now.

Quote:

I don't think this year's NY Creative Expo counts as a MW in SJ's eyes. But, back to subject, it would be great timing (Jan. 24th) for an updated pro powermac.

I don't doubt that the PowerMac will get a feature slot at MWSF. I have a feeling that MWSF will rock.

I'm not convinced that there'll be a 20th anniversary model, however. For one thing, Apple already released a 20th anniversary model (yes, I know this is a different anniversary, but it's still confusing), and for another I don't think Steve attaches any significance to milestones like this, based on some accounts I've heard (for example, he apparently refuses to sign documents recognizing length of service at Apple).
  • Reply 15 of 20
    arw867arw867 Posts: 3member
    Well, lets not assume that it is going to be a PC (if there is anything at all). A new dld or something would be nice, but I'm guessing that it'll just be one big party at Cupertino with a whole lotta alcohol. But here's to hoping for some bitchin 20th aniversary Mac! And possibly, the return of the cube!

ARW

arwfunkymonk
  • Reply 16 of 20
    My vote is for a special 20th anniversary edition of the iPod. Made out of solid gooooold...
  • Reply 17 of 20
    <marketing babble modus on>

PR-Guy:

"Mr Jobs, what shall we publish 'bout our anniversary?"

SJ:

"... häää?" (translation: "...häää?")

PR-Guy:

"... the Mac exists for 20 years... 24th of jan... you rememeber? superbowl, ridley scott etc.etc."

SJ:

"i DO remember, make your point!"

PR-Guy:

"... well, hmm, shouldn't we... i mean, it is... hmm... special... somethin'...?"

SJ:

"OK, tell me in your own words: what is your job, your profession?!"

PR-Guy:

"... do it well and talk about it!"

SJ:

"We ARE doing well!!"

PR-Guy:

"Yepp! Yess, Sir, of course Sir, but..."

SJ:

"BUT?!?"

PR-Guy:

"A special day, a special event... need somethin'... special...?"

SJ:

"... and, my friend, what IS special in your believing, in your lil' PR-Guy phantasy, in marketing terms, hm?!"

PR-Guy:

"... I have no idea!"

<marketing babble off>

i'm sure, just for the reasons mentioned above , Aplle will and have to do SOMETHINg! apple establishs itself again (and again, and again) as an innovatice player in computer business (G5, Panther, ITM); price is an absolutly nono instrument in marketing ("?we're selling the cheapest supercomputers!?" ???) - so it HAS to be something, which says the ordinary journalist, the opinion leaders, the non-apple-users "HEY! this little 3%market share company still exists? for fu******* 20 years? ooops!"

as allways: you convince the multipliers just with something, they can touch or even better, they can carry at home ("? iPod, Jaguar, iSight for everyone!" - CHEARS!!!)

talking 'bout RAM-prices: how 'bout an anniversary iPod, quarter sized of the actual one, no hd, just 8Gb of Ram...? and please, to the guys in the marketing dept: NO gold, please, jonathan would kill you!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Well, after the last time the PowerMac was announced at an Expo (the Quicksilvers, at MWNY), I can't blame them. That was the worst keynote Steve has delivered since he returned to Apple.

After that debacle, Apple timed the releases so that the people who needed to know would know, but they weren't exactly showing them off. I expect PowerMac announcements to retake center stage now.

Wasn't that the one where someone over-heard SJ say something like, 'next time we're going to be more prepared' (paraphrasing) after the keynote was over?

Quote:

I don't doubt that the PowerMac will get a feature slot at MWSF. I have a feeling that MWSF will rock.

I'm not convinced that there'll be a 20th anniversary model, however. For one thing, Apple already released a 20th anniversary model (yes, I know this is a different anniversary, but it's still confusing), and for another I don't think Steve attaches any significance to milestones like this, based on some accounts I've heard (for example, he apparently refuses to sign documents recognizing length of service at Apple).

Extremely valid points. Apple didn't have anything to be proud of with the Pro-Line Macs of the later "G4 Series" and they definitely weren't MW debut material. I agree with your thoughts on the 20th aniv. idea ... not worth it and confusing. The G5 is worthy, and if ...

I consider myself fortunate to have attended the last 3 MWSFs ... now if only I could get my employer to foot the bill of keynote access (ahh, dream on, they match the fabled scrooge in "penny-pinching" abilities).
  • Reply 19 of 20
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Refusing to sign documents about the length of tenure is what quite a few CEOs do who have been with companies for a while. It protects them from quick settlements or judgements if they ever should leave. This way there is no "quick" fixed value on the amount of service they have provided to the company.

It's all legal and has nothing to do with anniversary dates.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    MMMM brushed aluminum iMac with a cube base bosting a low end g5