Heat from my new 17'' powerbook!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi,

ive had my powerbook for a few days now. It gets rather hot where the power comes it on the left side.

I always rest my hand the keyboard as i use shortcuts in photoshop / flash etc. I rest my hand just under the speaker 'grill' It warms my hand up! and after an hour or 2 becomes a bit uncomfortable?

Any ideas on how to ruduce the heat. I have no problems when running of the battery. I assumed i was doing right having it plugged in as i work on it?

Cheers!

also, is there any way you can make the superdrive into a multiregion player? i do a lot of work on DVD and ive allready changed the region 4 times, its says i can only do it 5 times?? Bit daft isnt it

ta

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    AFA DVDs, it must be a bug, and likely one Apple knows about. Yeah that's daft.

AFA heat, you can make sure air circulates under the laptop by always putting it on a hard, flat surface. even just a teensy gap will make a difference.

Failing all that, you can trade your 'book with my 867mhz G4 powerbook for free 'cause I'm such a rad guy. No heat problems here!

BTW, as a kind of lame workaround, you can open your energy saver prefs and choose to slow down the CPU, which will reduce heat at a performance cost. If you are surfing/writing email, you likely won't notice a difference.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    There are many strategies from keeping the heat down. I've heard of using marble baking cooling things (sorry-- I can barely cook toast) as a pad for a TiBook, for instance. The idea is that it draws heat away from the laptop. This doesn't work with wood, for example. The marble is like a heat sink, drawing the heat away. Until it gets hot itself.

I use a "Coolpad" for my iBook, to circulate air underneath. I find that that works best.

For DVDs, that's the problem with RPC-2 DVD players. However, if you flash it to an RPC-1, then it becomes possible to change it more often (read: indefinitely), with the proper software (like Region X).

If you knew who made your DVD drive (see: Apple Profiler), for example, you can go to a site like this one and try to find RPC-1 firmware for your drive. If you screw up your drive, then you've never heard of me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    I bought an icurve for my ibook and it really helps keep the heat down. Now I'm not sure if a 17 in powebook would do so well on one of those + if you are going to have an icurve you will need to buy an external keyboard and mouse (that is if you don't already have one). Anyways, the icurve works great and really keeps that air moving under the machine.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the dvd thing isn't a bug, the drive really is limited to 5 changes. thank the RIAA for that one.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Without a doubt the Podium CoolPad is the best thing for laptops:

Not only does it elevate the laptop to keep it cool but it raises it to a more comfortable typing and viewing angle (and it's adjustable) -plus- it allows you to rotate the laptop when you want to show somebody something or if you move around a bit.

Very grippy rubber pads keep it from sliding off.

I've yet to hear my iBook's fan come on since I got it and my hand doesn't roast.

When it was flat it would just bake and bake...

http://www.roadtools.com/podium.html