Questions before getting a PB12"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm on the verge of getting a new Superdrive Powerbooklet. There are just a few reservations I have though.

1. VGA out - I know that this is not as good as DVI, but will I really notice much difference?

2. If I also get a DVD recorder deck for my TV,using DVD+R discs, will I be able to rip from these (non copy protected) disks, and import into iDVD?

3. Do people still get huge static shocks from the case?

4. I heard a problem of slower graphics when only using an external monitor - does this still exist?

Also, If any of you could add any comments or things to watch out for, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Hi,

I'm on the verge of getting a new Superdrive Powerbooklet. There are just a few reservations I have though.

1. VGA out - I know that this is not as good as DVI, but will I really notice much difference?

2. If I also get a DVD recorder deck for my TV,using DVD+R discs, will I be able to rip from these (non copy protected) disks, and import into iDVD?

3. Do people still get huge static shocks from the case?

4. I heard a problem of slower graphics when only using an external monitor - does this still exist?

Also, If any of you could add any comments or things to watch out for, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

David

1. works ok for me when i plug it into my ws tele. (watched most of Minority report on it last night when my ps2 gagged on the disk)

2. pb only uses blank dvd-r's. caught me out ... i have a stack of blank dvd+r's sitting at home which are useless. that said i beleive it will play both formats.

3. no my hair always looks like this. seriously though i didn't realise this was an issue.

4. never tried.

other comments...

having switched from a sony vaio i can only report positive things, build quality, reliability are rock solid so far. keyboard looks a bit chunky at first but is very comfy now. if using office x turn off all the sound effects. i was distraught when i first got mine to find how slow typing a doc was until i did. now i'm all smiles again.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Any more ideas?

Also, will Deus Ex run OK on the PB, despite it being OSX boot only?

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 3 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Any more ideas?

Also, will Deus Ex run OK on the PB, despite it being OSX boot only?

Thanks,

David

yes
  • Reply 4 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The powerbook 12 inch cannibalize the 15 inch powerbook and the I book. If the 12 inch 1024 per 768 is not a problem for you, it will be a good buy.

There is great chances to see an update of the powerbook 15 in september, and the end of the 12 inch, for the marketing reasons i have exposed.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

There is great chances to see ... the end of the 12 inch,

I certainly hope NOT, Powerdoc! The end of the 12-inch PowerBook would make me cry for weeks. Ça me toucherait plus qu'un poignard planté dans mon coeur.

No, no, NO!

Escher \
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I certainly hope NOT, Powerdoc! The end of the 12-inch PowerBook would make me cry for weeks. Ça me toucherait plus qu'un poignard planté dans mon coeur.

No, no, NO!

Escher \

Franchement, i hope he will stay.

This product is not avalaible anymore in many big stores. Some people think that it's the signature of an update, but it can be also the signature of his discontinuation.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

This product is not avalaible anymore in many big stores. Some people think that it's the signature of an update, but it can be also the signature of his discontinuation.

Only time will tell. I think that an update/revision of the 12-inch PowerBook is much more likely than discontinuation. Apple needs a larger variety of 'Books to grow its marketshare. And if Apple can grow its marketshare, it will not be a problem if a 12-inch PowerBook "cannibalizes" some iBook and 15-inch PowerBook sales. Right now, the 12-inch PowerBook is only taking away 15-inch sales because the 15-inch is hopelessly out of date. But I think the situation will change very soon.

Maybe I will have to buy another iBook or a 15-inch Aluminium PowerBook? I hope not.

Off topic: I just realized that I will be in Cannes on July 27 for the PowerMac G5 demonstration at Welcome Informatique, as announced on MacBidouille. What a nice coincidence!

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Only time will tell. I think that an update/revision of the 12-inch PowerBook is much more likely than discontinuation. Apple needs a larger variety of 'Books to grow its marketshare. And if Apple can grow its marketshare, it will not be a problem if a 12-inch PowerBook "cannibalizes" some iBook and 15-inch PowerBook sales. Right now, the 12-inch PowerBook is only taking away 15-inch sales because the 15-inch is hopelessly out of date. But I think the situation will change very soon.

Maybe I will have to buy another iBook or a 15-inch Aluminium PowerBook? I hope not.

Off topic: I just realized that I will be in Cannes on July 27 for the PowerMac G5 demonstration at Welcome Informatique, as announced on MacBidouille. What a nice coincidence!

Escher

You Lucky bas***, bon jeu de mot franglais mon ami

I schedule to buy G5, i hope you will enjoy the demo, and more you will give us your impressions.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    One thing I noticed is that in the Online Apple Store, they offer you UT2003 to buy as well on the PB12" order page. However, it says that the system requirements are G4-700, excluding the 12" Powerbooks - how come?

David
  • Reply 10 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If it can't run UT 2003, I'm NEVER buying one. I don't think that UT needs more than 32 MB VRAM, but I could be mistaken.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    i sure hope the 12" dosn't go away, most of the people i know on the verge of switching want the 12". In fact I will be helping someone at work today make the transition from pc to mac with the help from a little 12" she ordered. We do use all macs at work though, and one of her reasons for the 12" at home, was to be more compatible with work how da ya like that.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Um, the 12" PB isn't going anywhere. It's a huge seller.

As for iMacFan, wait a few weeks, a new one is coming.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

If it can't run UT 2003, I'm NEVER buying one. I don't think that UT needs more than 32 MB VRAM, but I could be mistaken.

Mac OS X only

256MB of Memory

G4 processor at 733 MHz or faster (Dual Processors supported, 500Mhz x2 or above)

4X CD-ROM (16X recommended)

Hard Drive, with 665 MB minimum free space

3D Graphic Acceleration or better (ATI Radeon/NVidia GeForce2 or faster)

It should run on the 12" PowerBook.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Hi,

I was in a Mac dealer today, and saw the actual box for UT2003 - It specifically says that the 12" Powerbook manufactured in 2002 does not meet the requirements.

This is a disaster - I might have to do some proper work on the PB!

David
  • Reply 15 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    There is no "12" PowerBook manufactured in 2002". They - along with the 17" PowerBook - were only introduced in January of this year (2003, for those not keeping score).

Okay, yeah...strictly speaking, I guess "manufactured in 2002" MIGHT refer to that initial, first batch of 12" PowerBooks that were sold in January and February.

But I don't think that's what they mean.

12" has only existed since January and has gone through no revisions or updates, as of today July 12, 2003. It has, however, had a $200 price cut.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Sorry, I meant to type 2003!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    It's on their webpage as well:

http://www.macsoftgames.com/products...T2K3-Page.html Maybe they meant the iBook with 16MB VRAM? A 667MHz PowerBook?

(except 12" PowerBook manufactured in 2003)

Download the demo and find out?

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/123341.shtml

Wait a moment, found a MacFormat CD with the demo on it. Installed the demo, and it runs fine if you turn the settings down from "ultra beefy video card". Otherwise it's a little slow.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The feet fell off my 12". That's my biggest complaint so far.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    those little square pads on the bottom? That's weird. can you glue them back on? Surely that wouldn't void the warranty or anything, would it?