Duplicate DVD burned with iDVD

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am about to get a new Mac, with the main reason being to burn DVD's with iDVD. I'm into home video and editing, and make a video each year for grandparents that is 90-120 minutes. Currently I use iMovie and then copy back to my camcorder (at which time I can remove from the hard drive) and record onto VHS.



With iDVD it seems to me that I'll need to leave the iMovie files on the hard drive until I'm ready to burn the entire DVD (60-90 minutes?). The 80 GB hard drive on either the low-end G5 or the dual processor 1.25 G4 will certainly hold at least this amount of video. But if I want to make another DVD of prior year's movies, I could run out of hard drive space if many current year movies are also on the hard drive. So I like the idea of a G4 with the combo drive and the superdrive if the DVD in the combo drive (made with iDVD) can be duplicated with the superdrive (either with Apple software or with Roxio Toast). Anyone know if this can be done?



Like I say, this is my main reason for upgrading, so the ease of duplicating DVD's with a second optical drive would push to getting a G4 rather than a G5.



Thanks.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    There's a program called DVDBackup that should do what you need it to do. I've never actually used it on an iDVD disc, but it works on store bought DVDs and that leads me to believe it would work on an iDVD too.



    Try www.versiontracker.com for this program and others that might do things you're interested in doing.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    hey...if you can get the g5



    to dub iDVD movie discs you can either use toast titanium and make a disc image and then burn taht





    to time shift dvd's use DVDBackup, then DVD2One to make and image, and toast titanium to burn







    for some reason i am having the hardest time understanding what your saying (i dont konw if i'm still tired or what) but i hope i helped...ill be glad to help anymore if you want to specify or ask about something i said
  • Reply 3 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,261member
    asterex, the point of his post is that he won't have the hard drive space to hold previous year's DVDs, should he want to make a copy of it in the future, when his drive is already full with the current year's stuff.



    I've never duped a DVD, but I'm assuming if it's an iDVD movie, Toast could do a disc to disc burn. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lkearllkearl Posts: 11member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    hey...if you can get the g5



    to dub iDVD movie discs you can either use toast titanium and make a disc image and then burn taht





    to time shift dvd's use DVDBackup, then DVD2One to make and image, and toast titanium to burn







    for some reason i am having the hardest time understanding what your saying (i dont konw if i'm still tired or what) but i hope i helped...ill be glad to help anymore if you want to specify or ask about something i said




    Thanks to you and others for the suggestions. So if I understand correctly, a DVD holds about 4.7 GB of data, while in iMovie, about 4-5 minutes of video uses 1 GB. So burning to DVD obviously compresses the iMovie data so that 60-90 minutes becomes 4.7 GB. If that's the case, then I like the idea of making a disk copy of the DVD to the hard drive and then burning that copy on a new DVD with Toast.



    Then I only need to keep about 10-15 GB free so I can make an image of 1-2 DVD's when I need to make a duplicate. Am I understanding correctly?



    In that case, I have no need for a second optical drive so bring on the G5
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by lkearl

    Thanks to you and others for the suggestions. So if I understand correctly, a DVD holds about 4.7 GB of data, while in iMovie, about 4-5 minutes of video uses 1 GB. So burning to DVD obviously compresses the iMovie data so that 60-90 minutes becomes 4.7 GB. If that's the case, then I like the idea of making a disk copy of the DVD to the hard drive and then burning that copy on a new DVD with Toast.



    Then I only need to keep about 10-15 GB free so I can make an image of 1-2 DVD's when I need to make a duplicate. Am I understanding correctly?



    In that case, I have no need for a second optical drive so bring on the G5




    yes you can make an image of a <4.7GB DVD and then burn that with toast titanium



    i hope this solves your problem and now u can get a G5, just like me





    what model are you getting?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    If you're getting another drive anyways, why not spend a little bit more and get a Firewire drive. That way you can still have a G5. Man, the G5 is light years better than the G4, why cripple yourself for the next few years? Can you imagine how fast it will take to encode using iDVD with a G5?



    Or, better yet, get another 160 GB S-ATA hard drive for the G5 and leave as many movies there are possible. Why deprive yourself of a G5?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    yes you can make an image of a <4.7GB DVD and then burn that with toast titanium



    You can do this with DiskCopy as well, which is a free Apple app, included in OSX.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by New

    You can do this with DiskCopy as well, which is a free Apple app, included in OSX.



    its true...i thought with some DVD's this didn't work as well as Toast though...perhaps my imagination...i'm partial to toast
  • Reply 9 of 10
    lkearllkearl Posts: 11member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    yes you can make an image of a <4.7GB DVD and then burn that with toast titanium



    i hope this solves your problem and now u can get a G5, just like me





    what model are you getting?




    I'm just a lowly home user, so I'm not using the machine to earn money, so extra speed doesn't "pay for itself" like it could for a pro user. However, I consider myself somewhat of a power user since I'm into processor-intensive tasks like video editing and [soon to be] DVD encoding and burning. And I like a good came of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament from time to time.



    So my decision is whether the dual processors of the 1.25 G4 will be just as good for me as the G5. To be honest, my B&W G3 upgraded to a G4/600 is more than adequate for my gaming and video editing. It's just the DVD burning it can't do.



    I can get the dual 1.25 G4 with superdrive (w/o modem) for $2,505 (all prices Cdn$), the 1.6 G5 (base model w/o modem) for $2,755, or the 1.8 G5 (base model w/o modem) for $3,355. I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $850 to go from the dual G4 to the 1.8 G5. So really I'm choosing between the dual G4 and the 1.6 G5. Sure the extra RAM and HD and PCI-X slots in the 1.8 G5 would be great, but the extra $600 from the 1.6 G5 may be pushing the limits of my wife's agreement on this purchase



    Really the dual G4 will meet my needs (more than 2x faster than what I have now), but I think that getting the G5 will keep me happier for longer. I like to upgrade every 4-5 years. So I'm leaning towards the 1.6 G5, but know I'd be very happy with either machine. Any advice?



    Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    its true...i thought with some DVD's this didn't work as well as Toast though...perhaps my imagination...i'm partial to toast



    Well DiskCopy has a tendency to crash at the last second (of a very long process) and then claim that the burn was corrupt. But my DVDs have turned out fine anyway. :-)



    Toast is ofcourse, another league.
Sign In or Register to comment.