Student Discount From Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Can i go to an apple store (king of prussia say) and buy a G5 and get a student discount?

Also if i go to an apple store and do that...can i have the hard drive taken from 160GB-->250GB?

or do i just buy online, upgrade the HD and pay for shipping (bastards)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Apple Online Store has free shipping.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bondgirlbondgirl Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Can i go to an apple store (king of prussia say) and buy a G5 and get a student discount?

Also if i go to an apple store and do that...can i have the hard drive taken from 160GB-->250GB?

or do i just buy online, upgrade the HD and pay for shipping (bastards)

When they start shipping to the retail stores, the Apple store will give you a hardware discount on a G5 in store with current student ID and some other school info. The retail store discounts will be the same amounts as the online education store. However, they only sell stock configurations in the retail stores, so anything considered BTO (like increasing the HD size) would have to be ordered through the online education store. Ground shipping is free for orders over $50, according to the help page, so you can have your BTO, edu discount, and still not pay shipping, looks like.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    oh man is that sweet...thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bondgirl

When they start shipping to the retail stores, the Apple store will give you a hardware discount on a G5 in store with current student ID and some other school info. The retail store discounts will be the same amounts as the online education store. However, they only sell stock configurations in the retail stores, so anything considered BTO (like increasing the HD size) would have to be ordered through the online education store. Ground shipping is free for orders over $50, according to the help page, so you can have your BTO, edu discount, and still not pay shipping, looks like.

Well, some schools receive a greater discount than others. For example, Franklin and Marshall generally gets $50 to $100 more of a discount than their regular education prices. And I suppose that makes sense, since F&M is a predominately Mac school. I would assume that they won't be able to look up the info about the extra discount at the Retail Apple Store, but it's automatically figured in online.

So, depending on where you are going to school, you might get a better deal online. (BTW, where are you going?)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bondgirlbondgirl Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Well, some schools receive a greater discount than others. For example, Franklin and Marshall generally gets $50 to $100 more of a discount than their regular education prices. And I suppose that makes sense, since F&M is a predominately Mac school. I would assume that they won't be able to look up the info about the extra discount at the Retail Apple Store, but it's automatically figured in online.

So, depending on where you are going to school, you might get a better deal online. (BTW, where are you going?)

That is true. Some schools do have their own customized online Apple stores (or even on campus stores) where edu discounts do vary. However, the edu discount you get in the retail store will match the standard edu discount amounts online, assuming your school does not have a customized store. They have varied in the past but I have seen evidence that Apple has moved to standarize the discount amounts so the retail and online stores are the same, except for individual customized school stores, which do their own thing.. You are lucky if you go to a school that has a customized store, there are some good deals. I only know of a couple, and mine is not one of them...