Cocoa Carracho Public Beta out

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Finally. I think it's because I asked one of the dev's friends to release a Public Beta, which I think is a nice service to the public and speeds bug squashing. I had an older leaked version in April and it's a little better. I liked the mouse over info but apparently that was buggy. The new Info uses Inspector windows, instead of normal windows. I hate Inspectors except for Clouseau. Icons have to be TIFFs now. Someone said this was because they are easier in Cocoa but that sounds like a copout. It means no drag n drop or copy and paste easily from Finder. And they're still small, a big icon in the Info would be cool. Tabs are great though! AIM like Private Chats would be nice, supporting multimedia a la Direct Connecting. Also threaded news is not implemented yet. Banners can now be larger too, which surprised Arlo but I hope they stay that way so I can have mine nice and big! You can always hide it, unlike Hotline.

What does everyone think about the new Carracho X! I think Carracho is back with a vengeance. As long as it stays off PCs it won't be recognized to be blocked either.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Cool. Just when I'm starting to contemplate setting up my own server.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Go for it! Maybe make a special Appleinsider account.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    i thought carracho/hotline was dead because Direct Connect became more popular? i stopped using hotline because it was a bitch

carracho and hotline were the same thing, werent they?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    HELLS NO!

Hotline is dying, Carracho is growing. And Carracho is Mac ONLY, which keeps it a lot better. More Admins are cool. And no spyware.

Direct Connect I have not used. Proud iBook Owner 2k2 is on my case about not dissing it! It sounded flakey at first with command line stuff but when I get back to college next month I'll be sure to give it a run through. Unfortunately I think I saw that it was blocked at URI. An admin there I knew showed me their site which has stuff capped and that was there I think, along with popular stuff like Gnutella. I tried tunnelling once but the router asked for a password so I almost gave up hope until I started a Carracho server and it wasn't capped to my satisfaction. Running a server is awesome!

chef ramen that is the best name ever. What connection do you have?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Carracho is where its all at. I've always loved it to bits.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    carracho isn't as easy to find things as direct connect...well its not as easy as typing in a search and clicking download, but you will get a better selection from carracho

i think i'll put back up my carracho server once i get my G5...ill give AI members weekend access

with the new carracho how do you connect to servers that require log/pass? i havn't tried to hard to figure it out but i definatly couldn't the other day
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Exactly. You just have to know the right people...right asr3r3x. My server's always free. I'll probably cut it back free only for AI members this year.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    i used to use carrcho all the time i was a warez puppy...i'm better now that i've gotten into programming and electronics more

honestly i used to download stuff just to have, i would download stuff i had ABSOLUTLY no need for...used to have almost everything haha
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Know what you mean.. it's like being a crack addict! I wasted so much time. Now instead people upload stuff I'll never use...\ At least it doesn't waste my time. I have Admins erase the junk. I really just want movies and music vids and other media that I can't get any other way because URI capped all p2p.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I'm a little unenlightened when it comes to carracho I guess, but I never found the program very useful. For downloading, something like limewire is way better for things like music videos and music and whatever else people download. I'm sure there are other gnutella clients out there, but I usually just run Kazaa Lite on my PC (i know...BOO!! HISS!!) but Kazaa Lite has no adware or spyware and it has all the content any person could ever want. So why do people use carracho? It isn't peer to peer, it relies on the client/server model. And god some of the admins are such assholes. it might not have adware, but sometimes to get access to a server you have to go to some shady site, which is worse than adware, because it's making you do the work too! For server needs, I run a private FTP server which is way better than dealing with carracho (totally private, don't have to list the server anywhere, much faster, probably more secure too.) So in the age of peer to peer networks that don't suck, what makes carracho attractive?

The RIAA doesn't scare me, so don't mention their lawsuits. The next generation of P2P software is already in the wings, which will be anonymous. Assuming the pigopolists will be able to shut down Kazaa (et. al.) anyway, which I doubt, P2P will continue.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Carracho Advantages:

?Security (for whatever its worth i dont agree it means anythign either, i'm not scared of the RIAA they are bastards)

?Reliability...i normally only download from server that i know are reliable...u can't say that about kazaa for sure

?Speed...again i only download from fast server...kazaa can you u good speeds but normally you dont get >70kb/s on average for software you want (i assume its free software that u didn't download off the web for some reason)

Reliability and Speed as the reason i use carracho

Carracho DISAdvantages:

Not a simple search
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Yes that is curious! No file search on www.tracker-tracker.com . I hope they fix that somehow in Carracho eventually. Although HL searches were BS anyway and even if it said guest it wouldn't be..."Go to this gay site and the fifth letter of the fourth word from the end on the 14th page of HARDCOREGAYMEN.com is the password. Then just pay $15 to my PayPal account and you will have access for three whole days!"

On Carracho I get megaBYTES a second sometimes, my server from U. RI is almost that fast too.