Moving Files from PC to Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is the easiest way to move files that are too large for a CD from a PC to a Mac? By easiest, I mean a way that requires that I buy nothing. So DVDs are out.

A few details...

The PC is running XP (i think) the Mac is a beige G3 running Mac OS 9.2.2.

Thanks in advance for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    scott_rscott_r Posts: 98member
    You can speed maybe $10 and get a cross over cable from your local computer store if both machines have network cards (the Mac should have one.) A cross over cable allow two machines to see each other without the need for a switch or router.

Set them to the same IP address range :10.1.10.1/255.255.255.0 for the PC and 10.1.10.2/255.255.255.0 for the Mac. If the PC is Win NT/2k or XP you have to make sure that the folders are "shared" so the Mac can see them. Right click on any of the folders and click sharing and give them a share name.

Connect the two with the cross over cable. On the Mac, in the Finder, type command-K and a dialog box will come up and you should see the IP number of the PC. Click the connect button, then you will have dialog listing the shared folders.

Double click the folder you want then you will be asked your name and password (which is the one you used to log into the PC with.) Then you should see a icon on the Mac with the name of the share from the PC. Double click is and you should see the files. Drag them to a folder on the Mac and away you go.

NOTE: You might want to to put all the files to transfer one directory. The Mac will add a bunch of files to any PC directory (these are for icons and other info the Mac uses.)

If you don't like this approach, if you have Winzip, you can zip the files and break into CD sized chunks. And stuffit should (if you have stuffit) be able to put them back together and decompress to the files back to normal size.

HTH,

-Scott