Can good ever be built on lies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, I'm just thinking that President Bush started the whole Iraq campaign with a lie ( bad )no WOMD. But in the process,an evil dictator is toppled ( good ).

So my simple little question is..

If you start with a lie ( bad ) can any good that comes out of it..truly outweigh the initial bad ?

Or is it all stained as a result of the first act? that is

..to lie to the coalition of the willing...\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yippee! Another thread on this! Where's groverat when you need him?

Obviously the answer is no: The end does not justify the means.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Obviously the answer is no: The end does not justify the means.

Does the end justify the means..Now why didn't I think of saying it in that nifty way....
  • Reply 3 of 13
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Yippe.

Saddamns OUT.*

"President"** Musharif of pakistan (You know the guy that SOLD uranium to north korea which is much more dangerous to the U.S. then saddam ever was) is IN!

That loony iraqqy that told us the US were not in Bagdad is OUT.

The schizoid "president" of north korea is still IN.

No WMD pointing to us from Iraq (and there never was)! GOOD!

Shiny Nuke missiles points at California. BAD!

**(after the u.s. helped him get to power)

*It was dictator who came to power in a miliaty coup before 9/11...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

lie ( bad )...lie ( bad)

Well, then why do you do it?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I remember a line from an excellent movie called " Excaliber ". The line was spoke by Merlin : " When a man lies he murders some part of the world ".

I think that covers it nicely.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Another thread on this? Oi!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

I remember a line from an excellent movie called " Excaliber ". The line was spoke by Merlin : " When a man lies he murders some part of the world ".

I think that covers it nicely.

This morning the news declared that the head of the CIA is taking the blame...Bush is exonerated ..or is he...?

As regards Musharif...Good God, I don't think that America should be playing footsies with the guy..but then what real alternatives are there in Pakistan...?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

This morning the news declared that the head of the CIA is taking the blame...Bush is exonerated ..or is he...?

As regards Musharif...Good God, I don't think that America should be playing footsies with the guy..but then what real alternatives are there in Pakistan...?

Two words.......Fall guy.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    I would say for the most part it's not the best approach for anything I can think of. That is unless you are doing it for your own and selfish good--then it's definately not justified for you actions. Now I don't really know if that is what bush was really after, but again it is possible.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Two words.......Fall guy.

One word..Patsy
  • Reply 11 of 13
    In a more philosophical sort of way...

No good can ever be built upon lies. Lies are like a fragile house made of cards. You continue to build level after level of the fragile structure to create a bigger and bigger house. It will eventually topple, and if it isn't because your lies pissed somebody off, it's because Karma caught up to you. It always does.

There is much too much lying going on in the world. A lot of problems could be solved if people would just start telling the truth a bit more often.

funny, an Apple Engineer and I had a conversation about this at an irish pub outside of Cupertino a few years back. And no, we didn't talk about Apple at all :P
  • Reply 12 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    /me rolls my ****ing eyes

/me skips over to the MacNN Lounge for a laugh
  • Reply 13 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Wag the Aquafire, Wag the dog ... it's all the same.

If you believe for one second that George Bush did not know everything the Director of the CIA knew at the outset of war, you are more gullible than I thought. Did you really expect no one to get / take the blame for the President?? This is how it works:

White House Official: George, you can either take the blame and keep your job, or you can deny the blame, have a hearing on the Hill and lose your job.

George: Yes you're right; clearly I should've edited that speech more carefully. I'm sorry.

White House Official: glad we cleared that up. Wanna grab lunch?

George: Yeah I skipped breakfast this morning!

(the two enjoy a hearty laugh).

It's all very simple really. No different than how it works in big business for the most part, except that the choice is to resign or be terminated in really bad business incidents.