Quark 6.0: Buggy, buggy, buggy

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well it came yesterday...and is so unstable that it is unusable. I've reinstalled it four times, and even reinstalled OS X, but nothing seems to help. The troubleshooting materials are a joke, and expect users to spend hours figuring out why the software doesn't work.

I'm furious. I've been a Mac user since I bought my SE new back inthe 80s and have been using OS X since the beta came out. I have never seen a piece of software that is this crashy before. I'm not totally sure, but it seems that the authorization system (a la Microsoft) seems to be to blame...I have to reauth every time I launch....even if I manage to quit before it crashes.

To me, it seems like an Alpha. Where is the FTC? If I bought a car this poorly designed, I'd have some recourse. Why do we accept software like this? I expect to be putting a class action suit together against Quark for this one.

BTW, I'm running an iMac g4 800 with 512 MB RAM and OS 10.2.6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmcgann11

I'm furious. I've been a Mac user since I bought my SE new back inthe 80s and have been using OS X since the beta came out. I have never seen a piece of software that is this crashy before.

Ever tried one of the other versions?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Uh...yeah. I've been using it since 2.12. 4.0 was a big mess, but not as bad as this. 5.0 was cranky, too, but again, not as mind-bogglingly awful as this version.

For this we waited two years?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20030626.php

Quote:

Its long siege against the federalizing forces of Mac OS X may be at an end, but Quark Inc.?s mountain redoubt continues to shrivel faster than Jenna Bush?s liver.

Indeed, the Blade?s BATF agents report, the messianic arrival of the long-awaited QuarkXPress 6 has precipitated a new round of casualties at the company, which has already exported the bulk of its development and support resources to India. Now that the company?s flagship DTP application has finally caught up with the 21st Century, Quark has demonstrated its appreciation to its beleaguered staff with a little surprise: six weeks notice for its entire QA and R&D staffs.

Shazam! Considering the company?s apparent commitment to future development, the Blade anticipates big, big things from XPress 6.5!

I think he may have his dates messed up.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Based on the release, I'm betting the QA staff got gassed a long time ago.

Quark's management makes Microsoft look like the cast of "The Sound of Music."
  • Reply 5 of 13
    So...no one else is having problems with QuarkXpress 6.0? I've gone as far as wiping my hard drive and reinstalling only a minimum (base) install of OS X, and yet it still quits either at launch, or when trying to open a file. It continually wants to be requthorized...

Is it just me?

Or is this version unusable?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Use ADOBE INDESIGN - you will be stunned at how well it works in OSX and how much better it is than Quark.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Well...InDesign certainly has its value...but...shoickingly, I use XPress for both print and basic Web design and it is easy to switch content between the two media...something InDesign doesn't do, unless I'm mistaken.

Oh...and don't recommend DreamWeaver...it's too much more money and I don't like using it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i havn't used it yet, nobody seems to be complaining, perhaps you got a bogus copy of XPress...if otheres say theirs isn't as bad then i'd takl to quark customer service because obviously something is wrong that needs to be taken care of
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Maybe Apple should just buy QuarkXPress and then we can be done with crappy updates like this.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Nooooo, because Adobe would get mad and quit making InDesign...which I loves dearly!

Although, if Apple did page layout as nicely as they've tackled other fields (browser, digital media management, productivity apps, etc.), I guess that would be okay too.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Quark? Buggy? No!

• Reply 12 of 13
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmcgann11

Well...InDesign certainly has its value...but...

Don't take this personally, but that makes it sound as if you've seen screenshots and maybe toyed with a demo and that's about all. Large departments switched over to InDesign and never looked back. (Granted it has some workflow issues). Every designer and their mother (even loyal Quark users) to some degree expected 6 to take off like a lead balloon.

The publishing department I support (and recently upgraded to OS X) is still creaking along with Pagemaker and Quark running in Classic. I've told them about InDesign (and they sampled 1.0 -- yech!) but they are stuck in their ways...

Screed

P.S. Apple should buy Quark Xpress just to put it out of its misery. "Son, we've found a nice farm that Xpress can live on and run and run forever..."

What we are missing is a consumer oriented Pagemaker. For simple brochures and family newsletters. Hm, candidate for an Apple Office Suite??
  • Reply 13 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

P.S. Apple should buy Quark Xpress just to put it out of its misery. "Son, we've found a nice farm that Xpress can live on and run and run forever..."

I had to do that once. Of course, I hated that dog, so I didn't matter to me.