CD Drive Ejects Disk, Doesn't Load

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The CD/DVD Combo drive on my PowerBook 12" works sometimes. Other times it simply spits out the disk as soon as I place it in the drive. There disk doesn't even seem to spin up.

Could this have any thing to do with the type of media I am trying to read (CD-R's)?

All of the CD-R's I have been trying to use are brand new, and all of them have data from a windows XP computer on them, the files consist of music, and internet bookmarks, papers, etc...

I noticed the PB heats up after about an hour, could this be a factor when trying to load a cd?

Any help is greatly appreicated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I'm sure this doesn't help at all but that reminds me of someone hopelessly trying to put a dollar into a vending machine, only to have the machine spit the dollar back out time after time.

Have you narrowed it down to which discs cause the problem, i.e. tried normal discs, like the system installation discs, audio CDs, etc? Is there anything jammed in the drive?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Secret Agent Man

The CD/DVD Combo drive on my PowerBook 12" works sometimes. Other times it simply spits out the disk as soon as I place it in the drive. There disk doesn't even seem to spin up.

Could this have any thing to do with the type of media I am trying to read (CD-R's)?

All of the CD-R's I have been trying to use are brand new, and all of them have data from a windows XP computer on them, the files consist of music, and internet bookmarks, papers, etc...

I noticed the PB heats up after about an hour, could this be a factor when trying to load a cd?

Any help is greatly appreicated.

I have seen very strange things happen when I take discs formatted on a windows XP machine and take it to one of my Macs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    I have noticed weirdness like that also on my 12" it seems if i open it up and pop in a cd before it wakes up all the way it will spit it out as soon as it finishes waking up. Oh and if you open it insert a disk then close it before it wakes up then open it back up later that stinking disk wont show up and you will have to reboot to get it to show up so you can eject it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I also had a problem with inconsistent Superdrive performance on my iMac. After much gnashing of teeth, it turned out that the Superdrive lens was dirty and a simple cleaning CD solved all.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Well, the Toshiba SD-R2002 (combo) on my iBook just died. It spits out any disk I stick in. I was ripping a couple of CDs when iTunes just stopped responding. After a force quit, the drive spit out the CD. I can't get any CD to recognized.

Up to that point, I haven't really had a problem with bad CDs. I know they're not the same drive, but the symptom of spitting out the disk is usually that the OS can't read it.