Stitch a bunch of QT movies into a single movie?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there an OS X app that will take a bunch of numbered QT movies (file1.mov, file2.mov, file2.mov, etc) and make one single movie file out of them, automatically, rather than me opening each one and pasting them togather manually?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I presume QT could do this with Applescript? Just record your actions doing it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Ya, but I have to DO IT to make the script. Then it will already be done. :0/

I want to take a folder of movies, and make them into one single movie (append them togather in order of their name a,b,c or 1,2,3 etc). The names may change, so a script will be hard to record, since the movies may change names next time I want to do it again. I want to drop a folder of .movs onto an app and BAM! I have have one single big .mov file
  • Reply 3 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there was an app in os 9 that did this... i belive it was called something like rossetta stone or something... but if you search around on macupdate (or whatever that alternative to VT is called ) for something like movie stitch or QT utility im sure you can find something...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    IIRC, Media Cleaner had batch capability, as does After Effects

as for the downside of actually recoding the actions in order to build the batch sequence,

you should only have to record two or three stages as if doing the real process. if you're concatenating more than just two movies, you'll still save some steps. once the script knows which folder to source for consecutive filenames, stop recording and save your actions.

hardly a hassle, and you'd almost inevitably have to make the same number of clicks in specifying directories anyway.

depending on which tool you use, (including Applescript as suggested above), once written, you can reuse it later

of course, if you recompress each movie after sub-stitching (add file1 to file2 and resave before adding file3), you'll suffer quality loss that may degrade the first clip (by the time you add file30 what was file1 has been recompressed 29 times)

if you've got the horsepower and RAM not to get bogged down by the large filesize, try to append all of the clips at once and perform only a single recompression of the finished movie.

(Cleaner used to be quite good at this)

hth