Mac HD help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok... My Performa 6200CD just died (RIP) and I need to get info off the hard drive. The hard drive is still working (I think) and it is an IDE based drive... so...

Is there a program for Windows that lets me see/read/write on a Mac formatted drive?

Windows will want to format the damn thing and I know you need to format it (in fat16/fat32/ntfs) for Windows to use it. What I need is a program that looks for HFS/HFS+ formatted drives and lets me at least read it (just to get the info off the drive).

The only other Mac I own is an iMac (333 Rev.D) so there is no luck there... unless the IDE chip can handle two devices... But other than that I only have my PC and a LC520 (which uses SCSI).

Any Ideas?

EDIT: Oh and I dual boot Linux too... If you know of any program for linux that does the same.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Well, there's MacDrive 5, but that costs 50 bucks for a download or 60 with the box... I don't know of any freeware.

Oooh, Amazon.com has the box and all for 40! Of course, I don't know if your data is worth 40 bucks to you or not. You may want to look around a little more.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the help!

But I am not willing to spend any money.

Any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

If you know of any program for linux that does the same

Well, there's a handy lil app called the 'Linux kernel' that does this

I assume you have built a kernel before? Hopefully yes (It has a bit of a learning curve). You need to add Mac partition map support and HFS (and/or HFS Extended) support into the kernel. Or build them as modules and load them into your currently running kernel.