Moving my user files from one disk to aonther?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently bought a iMac from work that was not being used and collecting dust. I learned for the good folks here it would indeed run Jag 10.2.6. I was surprised how well this little G3 400MHz worked. I bumped it from 256MB to 512MB RAM with an old PC memory module I had left over. Anyway, really enjoying used a Mac again. Disk space was limited so purchased a Matrox 5000DV external Firewire drive. The iMac would not recognize it either as FW device of USB. My PC saw it no problem. Even the iMac could see it as a shared drive from the PC!!

In another thread a suggestion was to try connecting the drive in OS 9 which was on the system when I upgraded. So I changed the boot disk to OS 9. Well that hosed me as my system got stuck on the happy Mac face boot screen. Never could get past it. Long story short I fixed the FW drive (it now has the OS and boots the system) and works just fine now. All my old files are intact on the old HD (Pheww! wiping beads of sweat from my forehead.) Now my system account and password are the same for the old and new systems. Can I just copy over my files from one disk to the other (user directory to user director) and will everything work? (i.e.: Mail, address book, browser book marks?) Also, applications, can I just drag them from one application folder to the other??? Some apps had to be installed with installers and required reboots, guess those I'll have to do from scratch.

Another thing I read about was the installing MS stuff hoses you system (namely MSN messenger.) I did install Media player, Real player and Yahoo! messenger but had no problems except for trying to boot into OS 9.

Thanks for any info on how to proced. . .