Network PowerBook and Pocket PC Wirelessly

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After stalling for months over a handheld, I finally picked up a Pocket PC: a Toshiba e750 to be exact (I was going to get a Dell Axim but just trying to place an order and claim a discount proved to be so annoying that I canceled that order).

So far the Toshiba is working great for me, but I cannot how to establish a computer to computer network between my handheld and my TiBook via WiFi. Basically, I hope to be able to browse my hard drive via my PPC. What do I have to do?

I can tell my TiBook that I want a computer to computer network and I seem to have the PPC connect, but then how do I see files? Do I have to set something up in the "Sharing" or "Accounts" preferences of OS X? Which software do I need to use on the Pocket PC side?

On the Mac side, I have a PowerBook 550 MHz running 10.2.6 with a Linksys 802.11g PC card. The Toshiba has built-in WiFi and Windows Mobile 2003 (otherwise known as Pocket PC 2003).

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Look for an app called Resco file explorer for your PPC. There you can map a network drive. All you have to set on your pb is that windows sharing is enabled. If you can see the pb from the ppc, all you need is that software. HTH.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    So far the Toshiba is working great for me, but I cannot how to establish a computer to computer network between my handheld and my TiBook via WiFi. Basically, I hope to be able to browse my hard drive via my PPC. What do I have to do?

Any help would be great! [/B][/QUOTE]

Check out markspace,

www.markspace.com/pocketpcpreview.html

these guys develop the missing sync range of software...

They are claiming to be in production of full syncing software for pocket PC...sometime in July... I should know I am waiting for their software...

I too purchased a pocket pc HP Ipaq as there was no mac alternatives after waiting months hoping one of those apple pda or tablet rumors will come true...but alas nothing works like my ipod... simple and effective... if only i could enter data on the go...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Celco

[B]So far the Toshiba is working great for me, but I cannot how to establish a computer to computer network between my handheld and my TiBook via WiFi. Basically, I hope to be able to browse my hard drive via my PPC. What do I have to do?

Well, I've got it to work (and I have to admit that there is something inherently cool about streaming MP3s from a laptop to a handheld). Here's what you have to do (assuming you're running OS X):

1. under the "Accounts" preference pane make sure you set up the user account you're using to "Allow user to log in from Windows"

2. under the "Sharing" preference pane click on "Services" and then select "Windows File Sharing"

3. Under the AirPort menu icon, select "Create Network" (the wording might be slightly different". You should then see the icon show a little picture of an old Mac.

4. Turn on WiFi on your handheld.

5. Now, here you have a few options. If you go to "Services" on your mac, you'll see a network path (starting with //). If you don't want to install any extra software on your Pocket PC, you can just click "Network Share" in the PPC's File Explorer app. and enter the path there. There is also a free program called NetUse for the PPC which will find the network then open it in File Explorer. Lastly, there is a very good program that you have to pay for (I'm running the free demo now though) called Resco File Explorer. No matter which program you use though, you'll have to enter your OS X user ID and password. Then you can go through all the files you have in that user's directory!

If any of this is unclear or still not working, post again; I'll be happy to try and help some more! I had to play around a bit before this all worked perfectly.

And do post if you try MissingSync (it just came out today); I'm curious to know how well it works.