The G5/cheese grater look...who'll be next?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Was at Apple's site a while ago, just admiring the clean simplicity of the G5.

Who's going to be first on the PC side to do away with the often-busy and cluttered front panels and excessive curves/swoops and adopt a cleaner, straight-ahead look...using, of course, aluminum and tiny little ventilation holes?

Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about, either. You and I both know that by Thanksgiving, Dell or some other PC maker will have a new tower that looks oddly familiar...

Just curious on how long it'll take for this particular product to be copied and aped.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Canadian or American Thanksgiving? I place my money on Canadian.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I am guessing Canadian Thanksgiving is before American?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    October 13th, same as Columbus Day for US.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Lian-Li has probably been selling minimalist aluminum cases for the do-it-yourself crowd for some time now.

http://scasp.webnow.biz/upload/a0000...US/prd_833.jpg

Not pretty, but you'd be nuts to expect that from the PC world.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I can easily see Gateway or some other company picking up on the perforated metal thang, but doing something totally gratuitous with it, like using some on the corners of the desktop box, and using something else for a cooling grille/fan exhaust.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ooo ooo apple copied! aluminium and speed holes! (apple doesn't have 50 drive bays though!)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's not like it hasn't happened for three of four years now.

I recall some PC maker (was it Compaq?) putting translucent, colored panels and accents on their towers a few years ago.

I seem to remember a big surge in curvy, swoopy, translucent plastic usage in PCs starting, oh about 3-4 years ago.

I know I've seen a small, minimalist white glossy laptop from Dell.

I know I've seen the trend in "beige and boxy" switch to silver/gray and rounded, curved edges" over the past 3-4 years.

Why would it be crazy to simply think it'll happen again with the G5? Always does.

And for those that say goofy stuff like "oh yeah, I get it...Apple invented colors" or "uh uh, Apple came up with the idea of sweeping lines and translucent plastics", the simple answer is "no, pinhead...that's not the point".

Were ANY of these companies doing this BEFORE Apple did?

Uh, no. Of course not.

Apple didn't "invent" it, but they did it first and they sure made it safe for every other computer maker to consider putting a purple or orange piece of plastic on their products.

• Reply 8 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha pscates ur right i wasn'tn trying to be one of those people i was just joking (still want to be friends?)