Music and Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, I don't know a whole lot about Macs, or computers for that matter, but enough to be functional and whatnot. Here is the deal. I am a dj looking to get a soundcard for my G3 B&W 350 (I know it seems ancient these days). I already have ProTools LE 5.2 (and know how to use it) and have been doing research about sound cards. I've read through all the threads and still have a few questions. I have heard great things and bad things about the audiophile 2496. Some people say it sucks (for Mac users) and the drivers never work, others say it's the best sound for the money. I also hear that it has difficulties working with Pro Tools software. I mainly plan on inputing stuff from my mixer and working with it on Pro Tools. I am a poor unemployed recent college graduate so please don't make me feel more financially challenged by suggesting digidesign hardware or something expensive like that. Can anyone help me in my quest to take advantage of my ProTools software and Vinyl library?

Thanks for you time and suggestions.

Dj Examn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by djexamn

Ok, I don't know a whole lot about Macs, or computers for that matter, but enough to be functional and whatnot. Here is the deal. I am a dj looking to get a soundcard for my G3 B&W 350 (I know it seems ancient these days). I already have ProTools LE 5.2 (and know how to use it) and have been doing research about sound cards. I've read through all the threads and still have a few questions. I have heard great things and bad things about the audiophile 2496. Some people say it sucks (for Mac users) and the drivers never work, others say it's the best sound for the money. I also hear that it has difficulties working with Pro Tools software. I mainly plan on inputing stuff from my mixer and working with it on Pro Tools. I am a poor unemployed recent college graduate so please don't make me feel more financially challenged by suggesting digidesign hardware or something expensive like that. Can anyone help me in my quest to take advantage of my ProTools software and Vinyl library?

Thanks for you time and suggestions.

Dj Examn

Try www.osxaudio.com
  • Reply 2 of 5
    djexamndjexamn Posts: 3member
    Thanks for the url, but I forgot to mention that I am running in OS 9.2. Also does anyone know a good inexpensive cd-rw that would work in my Mac (G3 B&W 350)?

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by djexamn

Thanks for the url, but I forgot to mention that I am running in OS 9.2. Also does anyone know a good inexpensive cd-rw that would work in my Mac (G3 B&W 350)?

Thanks

Oops sorry. I shouldn't have assumed you were on OSX.

For CDRW compatability nothing beats the Drive Database at www.accelerateyourmac.com look for the link near the top.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

please don't make me feel more financially challenged by suggesting digidesign hardware or something expensive like that.

Well, then we have a problem. All versions of ProTools will only work with Digidesign hardware, except ProTools Free which will only work with the MacOS 9 sound manager. So to hear you say that you use and know ProTools, yet don't have any Digidesign harware, makes me think that you must be using PTFree, not PTLE. The Audiophile 2496 will not work with any version of ProTools. If you want to keep using ProTools and not purchase any Digi hardware, you'll be stuck in PTFree with stereo input through Sound Manager. Truth be told, this can be a very effective solution, and could be a good way for you to record your mixes.

If you want multi-channel recording, you'll need to come up with another solution. Either ProTools LE with Digi hardware (could be a good route since you say you already know how to use PT), or something else.

As far as a CD-RW, go to DealMac and look around. IF you want an internal drive, it needs to be an IDE drive.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    djexamndjexamn Posts: 3member
    Thanks for all the info guys. It truly has been helpful. www.osxaudio.com is filled with forums on everything about audio and macs and the people are very knowledgable about stuff. Thanks for everything.

Examn