Intel: Beyond GHZ

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2902061,00.html"; target="_blank">http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2902061,00.html</a>;

"Facing renewed challenges from AMD, slowdowns in demand, and a rising belief among customers that greater performance (the traditional market driver) is increasingly irrelevant, Intel is seeking new factors to stimulate demand for processors."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Oh dear.. did you read that on the second page of the article about the "Banias" mobile processors? They're going to use ten times less power.. from 20 watts down to 2, and they'll be smaller and lighter, and Intel is offering incentives to manufacturers who add-in 802.11 wireless networking and HotSpots. But the main thing, is imagine there being PC notebooks with ten times the battery life of PowerBooks or iBooks... and Motorola/IBM not being interested in making low-power PowerPC chips for Apple. These things are gonna be out in early 03!

La Grande and Palladium make me laugh, though. Remember the uproar for the little serial number on the chips? Imagine the uproar for this shit.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    Intel can consider themselves lucky if Banias-based laptops get the same battery life as an iBook/Powerbook.

Remember that the power requirement for the backlighting and the rest of the computer does not go away.

Rare are today's PC laptop whose battery lasts 2 hours.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Someone call me in 2005 when all these great things ship
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>Someone call me in 2005 when all these great things ship </strong><hr></blockquote>

What's your number....
  • Reply 5 of 6
    That acticle was so full of shit it isn't even funny ... obviously written by Intel itself. For me, they blew their cover after starting to brag how great 2000 and XP were at multi-tasking. Please.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by *l++:

<strong>Intel can consider themselves lucky if Banias-based laptops get the same battery life as an iBook/Powerbook.

Remember that the power requirement for the backlighting and the rest of the computer does not go away.

Rare are today's PC laptop whose battery lasts 2 hours.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, duh. That is true. It'll probably only serve to counteract how in the past and present mobile x86 processors use more juice than PowerPC anyhow.