What does this error code mean?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone know what this error code from the Apple Hardware Test means:

2STF/8/3:ATA-100ata-6 - Master

I know it's something to do with the hard drive because at that point, it wasn't booting and Disk Utility on the install CD couldn't even see the harddrive. Miraculously, while I was doing something else and had just left it at the grey screen, it decided to work for me and boot up. Just petrified to try rebooting again!

So, anyone know what's up?

Grant

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Grant

Anyone know what this error code from the Apple Hardware Test means:

2STF/8/3:ATA-100ata-6 - Master

I know it's something to do with the hard drive because at that point, it wasn't booting and Disk Utility on the install CD couldn't even see the harddrive. Miraculously, while I was doing something else and had just left it at the grey screen, it decided to work for me and boot up. Just petrified to try rebooting again!

So, anyone know what's up?

Grant

I googled the error code. If you can read japanesse their is a mention of it on a page from the 30th of June this year. The problem occured on a PB 12". that is the best I can translate so far.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    grantgrant Posts: 11member
    Yeah, I found that too. Unfortunately, Google doesn't translate Japanese and I can't read it!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    No, but BabelFish does. Here's what it says... doesn't seem to be too helpful...

Quote:

2003-06-30 exhausted, Monday

* XOOPS2

Being this time, you tried installing the XOOPS2. 1.3 Being refined rather than system, the ?.

Object oriented with the PHP, all the way there is about to become modularization or reference of function. Unless this rank mono it makes.

* ? ?

Farewell meeting of the girl of ? quitting work the day ratio valley it is effective or, with the ?. Especially however the ? the ? it is good with it was the person who is not thought, the ? here ? course (?) It was tasty. It is to repeat this you say it is the ?.

Doing, o'clock of 20 at the time of 21 of rust order the closing ? - isn't too quick a little?

* ? - - ? - -

You call, it is is, the ? - - the ? - - with. Is with, what stops reacting. Just mouse cursor moving, the Finder and the Dock become unable to use. Because such a is continued 2 time 3 time, you tried using the Apple Hardware Test CD.

When it does, with the test of the " memory storage " " error was detected " the ? ? came out. As for error cord/code even " 2STF/8/3:ATA-100 ata-6-Master ". If tomorrow, you do not telephone to the apple, (crying)

• Reply 4 of 6
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
  • Reply 5 of 6
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

No, but BabelFish does. Here's what it says... doesn't seem to be too helpful...

no, but it's HILARIOUS for Help Text

Quote:

Farewell meeting of the girl of ? quitting work the day ratio valley it is effective or, with the ?. Especially however the ? the ? it is good with it was the person who is not thought, the ? here ? course (?) It was tasty. It is to repeat this you say it is the ?.

Doing, o'clock of 20 at the time of 21 of rust order the closing ? - isn't too quick a little?

I mean hey, if that doesn't answer your question, we can't help you.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    grantgrant Posts: 11member
    Well, once I'd got back in, I made a recent back up to my external HD and then rebooted using a DiskWarrior CD. Ran Disk First Aid first which told me "keys out of order" and was unable to fix it. DiskWarrior seems to have done the trick, however. That was scary, anyway. God must have been in a good mood when that disk spontaneously rebooted - very weird.