how to check 2nd hand PB

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
gonna buy a 2nd hand PB/superdrive

what areas should i pay special attention to?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    well so you don't feel like nobody is reading and careing about this thread i'll try and help out, though i don't have a PB myself

what model is it, that depends on how much you have to worry about paint chipping and stuff, also if you have access to the machine you could run some tests on the RAM and HD to make sure there are no big failures

if its aluminum then i think ur good hinge and durability wise, but either way you might want to check and make sure the hinge works properly and the video cable isn't loose (i know iBooks had problems with that not sure about PBooks)

u could check all the ports work, but this is all getting pretty detailed
  • Reply 2 of 4
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    if you've got test-drive access for a few hours or overnight,

download X-charge or similar utility from http://versiontracker.com

and run the battery down with typical loads to test its capacity.

pop the keyboard and check the RAM (is it Apple or 3rd party, and does the price reflect that?)

remaining Applecare warranty would increase the value of the PB

just like a used car, ask for any repair or service receipts to determine if it's been in any accidents
  • Reply 3 of 4
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks for the tips,

it's a 15" 867 Ti Book

and was described as brand new, bought in Feb/03

anyway, wish me luck
  • Reply 4 of 4
    praxispraxis Posts: 30member
    One of the things to do is get the serial number and call Apple customer service, tell them you are buying this unit used and would like to know if there have been any reported problems. At the same time you can also make sure it is not stolen, when it was purchased, if it has AppleCare, etc.. So just ask the person you are buying from for a screen shot of the first two pages (System Profile, Devices and Volumes) from Apple System Profiler and you'll have most of the info you need.

Good luck.