Do most dealerships buy used cars from the same place?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm still looking for a used car and I'm hearing differing stories as to a cars' history.

The independant will say they all buy from the same auction, while the authorized ones say they attend ones where only they are invited to. For instance, Volkswagen will only invite them to bid on lease returned vehicles.

Who's telling the truth?

There's usually a significant price difference between buying from the two.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

So I'm still looking for a used car and I'm hearing differing stories as to a cars' history.

The independant will say they all buy from the same auction, while the authorized ones say they attend ones where only they are invited to. For instance, Volkswagen will only invite them to bid on lease returned vehicles.

Who's telling the truth?

There's usually a significant price difference between buying from the two.

Depends on the owner of the car lot.

the bigger dealers do get invited to invite only auctions but they also attend different auctions as well as all those part exchanges they do.

it all depends on whats going at the time.

your best bet is to cut out the dealer and head straight for the auction, then you'll pay what the dealer pays and save you cash.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

your best bet is to cut out the dealer and head straight for the auction, then you'll pay what the dealer pays and save you cash.

Only problem with that is I lose out on any warranty. I guess there's always third party ones but I'm not sure if they're any good.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Only problem with that is I lose out on any warranty. I guess there's always third party ones but I'm not sure if they're any good.

this is where you need to know your cars or know someone that does.

Always go to an auction early and give the cars your interested in a thorough going over and then its all down to how much you have to spend.

warranties really arent worth shit these days, their a piece of mind sure, but really its just a selling piont. and if the car aint that old anyway it could very well still have a manufacturers warranty left on it.

IE, corrossion and other major defects.