Pioneer OEM drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know if the Pioneer DVR-106 has the same problems that the DVR-105 did with the drive 'sleeping'? I'm thinking of buying a firewire DVD burner and I don't want to pay ~$300 for something that will fail often.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Haven't heard anything yet because this drive is so new. Here are a few links that might help you out.

DVR-A06/106 Burn Support for OS X 10.2.6 / iTunes 4

XLR8 Drive Compatibility Database

Already puchased one so I'll keep you posted if you like.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

Does anyone know if the Pioneer DVR-106 has the same problems that the DVR-105 did with the drive 'sleeping'? I'm thinking of buying a firewire DVD burner and I don't want to pay ~$300 for something that will fail often.

What problem? You mean not setting the hard drives to sleep in the Energy Panel? I haven't seen that as a problem, and the drives spin down anyways. I've been using the 105 for some time now, and burned tons of DVDs with it without issues on my G4 AGP.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

What problem? You mean not setting the hard drives to sleep in the Energy Panel? I haven't seen that as a problem, and the drives spin down anyways. I've been using the 105 for some time now, and burned tons of DVDs with it without issues on my G4 AGP.

Drives spinning down is one thing, but the drive 'going to sleep' in the middle of a burn or forcing you to restart just to eject the disk is different. I've seen a couple people complain about the 105 on AI, and I know a couple PC people that have had problems with it too. I think that it would be a hardware/firmware problem if the PC people are complaining too, don't you?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Perhaps the Mac 1.30 Firmware released last week fixes the issue with the DVR-105/A05?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

I think that it would be a hardware/firmware problem if the PC people are complaining too, don't you?

Could be. All I'm saying is I haven't had that problem. All I did was turn off the letting drives go to sleep in the energy panel. I burn without problems, and I don't notice any difference with my computer.