Shutter Lag on Sony Cameras?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi Guys,

I've been wanting to buy a digital camera to replace my Sony DSC-P1.

It was a pretty good camera, despite the fact that when you depress the shutter, the picture is taken about half a second later, thus, a lag. This is extremely annoying when I want to capture a moment, such as my cat yawning, as, usually when the picture is taken, it has lagged so much I don't catch the moment.

I'm looking into the F717 and U30 models. (by sony) I actually want both. People who has these, can you please report whether Sony fixed the shutter lag?

I've been a very loyal Sony customer, but if anyone will be so kind as to recommend other brands, I'd be thankful.

Your replies will be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You might want to wait a bit.

Sony has an 8MP 2/3rds CCD sensor on their Japanese pages somewhere, I can't find the linky. That's interesting because it's the same size and type as the 717's 2/3rds sensor, but it isn't used in any current Sony digital camera. Mebbe, by early next year? 8MP 717? Yummy.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Matsu, that sounds really cool and yes, I guess I could get the u30 now and wait when the new F series comes out. Not that I'd really need 8 megapixels, but I've sort of a semi pro hobbyist and would like a proish camera as well as having a compact and small one like the u30.

Do you know anything about the shutter lag?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Have you considered the Sony DSC-V1?

Sony DSC-V1 Review

I'm getting one just as soon as I sell my Ti400
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks camper for the page.

I had seen the V series online before but thought it seemed too similar to the Canon powershot series. However, I realised today how competitive it was and how small it is, which is quite incredible.

A great camera indeed, priced very reasonably. I thing I will wait for the new F series nonetheless (should be anytime now as the F717 has been around for over a year).

The main reasons is battery life (over 4 hours for the F717) and the fact that it is a true slr in that the eyepiece is from the lens. It also has a more professional look and feel. I'm going for 2 cameras eventually, one compact and one bigger, so the larger F717 is fine.

Have you guys seen the new U30? It's not much of a real camera but boy is it small!! Great to take with you at all times and only 200$