Quark 6: Can't save back to 4.11?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I ordered it, but haven't used it. BUT...

I have heard whispers that you CAN'T save a Quark Xpress 6.x file back to 4.11 if needed?

If this is true my company will NEVER use Quark 6 (and thus never move to OS X) because our prepress house will never use anything but Quark 4.11 or 3.2 (at least for a long long time).

Sure, we have a PDF workflow for advertsising and small peices, but we don't have the manpower or infrastructure to convert all our Quark files to PDF or PDF/X for all our magazine and books. We have too many products and a "live" Quark workflow that works too well to wreck it at this point in the game.

I will call today "Black Thursday". Its the day I discovered that I will be trapped in OS 9 forever.

(Dont get me started about "Classic mode", it won't work here...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It is true. You can only save to 5.0...if it even works, which for me, so far, it hasn't.

Why is that Microsoft manages to allows saves back many generations of software, as does Adobe, and Quark can't?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    This is true. Sorry.

On the plus side, you won't be stuck in OS 9 *forever*.

After all, drivers for new hardware aren't going to be produced for OS 9 for much longer. And machines do die.

Eventually -- one dark, dark day for these people -- your prepress house will have to upgrade to either Quark 5 or 6. In a few years very companies will be still offering support for OS 9.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quark 6: Still crap?

Yes.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wow, this is about the ninth negative, real-life assessment of Quark 6 I've read from someone who bought it and is using it (or trying to).

Unbelievable.

As far as the whole "stuck in OS 9" thing, I just read Scott Kelby's latest "Life in the Mac Lane" column in Mac Design last night and it talks about this very thing (migrating to OS X and how the reasons for staying in OS 9 are getting smaller and weaker everyday.

Good read.

Hey, whaddya know: enjoy