Arg...OS 9 question (no not classic)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
in 9.1 sometimes the finder takes up ungodly amounts of ram...why?

ungodly = ~500MB!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I had that once when a program had a memory leak. what programs are you running? A restart will shrink the finder to it's normal size but unless you can find the program responsable, it will add up again. Also, the size of a RAM disk will be added to the finder.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    except the crazy extensions being loaded, only photoshop and netscape run..netscape not even all the time

plus to top it off the finder was taking up 500mb AFTER a restart the one time i had to restart it again to get ti to normal
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Step 1: Double-check the RAM disk settings. Make sure they are off.

If you are still reading this (step 2) brace yourself. My suggestion is to restart with "OS 9" only. (Or something like that) Restart and check the ram. I'm guessing it is back to normal. (Cross fingers) Now, turn on 1/2 the extentions and restart. If ram is normal, turn on the other half and check again. Assuming it is 500MB again, turn off 1/2 ot the extentions you just activated and sarrow your search. Hopefully you can hunt down the troublesome extention in not too much time.

Hope it works.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    You can create your own extensions set with the extensions manager..Os 9 loads up a lot of Xtensions crap.

Also when was the last time you zapped the pram..?

When was the last time you rebuilt the desktop ?

If you have photoshop in your start-up list..delete it.

Other than that..do a Nortons....

Are you running gooky appearance software like kaleidoscope..

Also having tons of xtra fonts or pictures in the apppearance folders can really slow down the machine & bloat it out big time...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ok well it seems to do this randomly, its not every time so that is why i can't narrow it down...my boss has a disguisting amount of extensions on which i assume are what cause most of the problems but he is afraid to let me disable any haha

no appaearance schemes

run norton often,

havn't zapped pram in a while

i'll try to talk him into letting me get rid of some extensions...is extension manager still uptodate?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

..is extension manager still uptodate?

Should be no problem to update...you can configure your machine to update automatically while on the net.

Go to Apple to check first..

Sounds like your computers are all connected ?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Should be no problem to update...you can configure your machine to update automatically while on the net.

Go to Apple to check first..

Sounds like your computers are all connected ?

i'm sorry, i didn't meant extention manager, i meant extensis overload